X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PcosKat
    • May 2002
    • 3.7.x

Anyone have experience with Host Gator?

I'm currently with a host whose support has gotten VERY bad lately.

I need a new managed solution.

Stats:
    37,000 members
    Tyically have 150-250 concurrent members
    1,000,000+ posts

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by PcosKat; Sun 29 Oct '06, 2:12pm.
  • Jedito
    • May 2001

I think that more than 50 concurrent members should not go on a shared host.
    Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
    LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

• PcosKat
      • May 2002
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Jedito
      I'm currently on a dedicated server, looking to move to a dedicated server.

Comment

• Oct 2006
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by PcosKat
        I'm currently on a dedicated server, looking to move to a dedicated server.
        You need a strong server for that number of members, consider some solutions with at
        Last edited by 3011; Mon 30 Oct '06, 10:25am.

Comment

• cyberbeggar
          • Dec 2003
          • 3.0.0 Gamma

I host 3 sites with hostgator, and they are the best host I have ever been with.... my forum has just under 2 thousand members, feel free to PM for details.

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Jedito
            not true, I too was previously under this notion however today, we host a client who has more than 200 users online at the same time (during peak hours) and her site is doing fine on a shared environment.
            www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
            www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Jedito
              • May 2001

Well, that's your preference, I prefer to not host a forum with more than 50 concurrent customers at the same time, Indeed, there's a Mysql limitation (at our my.cnf) to prevent that.

Comment

• hmtl
                • Nov 2006

hostgator looks pretty good...

thats a alot of concurrent members to :P

Comment

• Jedito
                  • May 2001

If I'm not wrong the limit at hostgator is 25 Mysql connections

Comment

• Markith
                    • Oct 2006

Can someone verify the 25 mysql user limit?? I just signed up with hostgator...happy with them so far but I am far from being done with my site...

Comment

• Jedito
                      • May 2001

I suggest you to contact directly to Hostgator, they can tell you better than anybody if that statement is true.
                      For some reason, I can't access to their site.

Comment

• jeffduck
                        • May 2006

I'm just finishing up a move to them. I had some unusual problems creating add-on domains but they got them working pretty quickly. I had to talk or chat with them about 5 times and every time (phone or chat) they were available immediately including on Sunday night.

Comment

• ramprage
                          • Dec 2001

There is a 25 concurrent connection limit for MySQL which can be found in their forums. PcosKat, you probably signed up with the basic dedicated and it wasn't strong enough? You need something with Dual CPU IMO for nearing 40,000 forum users on a busy, growing forum with minimum 2 gigs ram.

Moving a busy forum is no small task, so I'd get a bit stronger hardware that immdiately required since downtime is a killer.
                          WebHostGear.com - Server Tutorials, Web Server Guides, Hosting Tutorials
                          As seen in Ping Zine Magazine
                          Preventing Brute Force Attacks | APF Firewall Install Guide |Cpanel FTP Backup Script Now Available!

Comment

• WireNine.com
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Stats:
                            37,000 members
                            Tyically have 150-250 concurrent members
                            1,000,000+ posts
                            With thosts stats, I would suggest a Dual CPU server with minimum 2 gb ram.
                            ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
                            ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
                            ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
                            ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

• PcosKat
                              • May 2002
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ramprage
                              PcosKat, you probably signed up with the basic dedicated and it wasn't strong enough? You need something with Dual CPU IMO for nearing 40,000 forum users on a busy, growing forum with minimum 2 gigs ram.
                              I'm not signed up with HostGator, I was just looking for any comments about them as a host, in general (ie Customer support response time, etc)

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with Liquid Web, and I'm Reeally happy. Dual CPU and 4 gigs of ram. EXCELLENT and RESPONSIVE customer support. (phone and helpdesk)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...