Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greps
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.6.x

and with the rate that new hardware comes out these days, Microsoft will only be loosing money because very few will be bothered to purchase a new license every second time you change some hardare. god bless those torrent sites.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Floris
      Joe, if you happen to talk to someone inside Microsoft, tell them they've lost a customer. I will be one of those users that will actually click ' no, I do not agree to these terms ' , and purchase another operating system instead.

This is getting rediculous. If I have one license, I should have the permission to use that on one system, who gives a crap if I change my motherboard, ram, cpu, or any other part. It shouldn't even affect functionality besides updating a driver.

The warez version doesn't even ask for a serial anymore, nor activation. it is super easy for those people to install a pirated edition. Whereas as a paying customer you're limited and put in a cage and should pray twice per day and call their hotline to suck up to their company. To get permission to type qwerty without adding the (tm) to every letter.

This started with XP already, but unfortinatly I had to use it then. I'm moving on. This is too restricted, too expansive, and no longer justified in my eyes.

I will put Win XP as dual boot to my systems now, so I can still play a game that hasn't come out for linux or mac yet. But they're no longer getting any of my money for their support or products.

Sorry to be rude, or sound rude rather. But I can't believe that everybody complains about this and still uses it a day later. Pirated or not. I for one won't do that and change to a professional operating system instead.
      I'll be sure to bring that up to my rep. I'm meeting him for dinner tonight actually
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Freesteyelz
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Greps
        and with the rate that new hardware comes out these days, Microsoft will only be loosing money because very few will be bothered to purchase a new license every second time you change some hardare. god bless those torrent sites.
        Here we go again with the suggestion of piracy; a blatant disregard of the law. I used to deal with piracy and copyright-related issues and I salivated bringing unlawful people/operations like you down.

If you don't like a product or the way a company handles their business simply do not use it/them.

Comment

• Lenni
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.6.x

I am a paying customer of Jelsoft! This shows that I am willing to pay good money for good products. If however, a product sucks so hard, not because of whats inside, but rather because how it is licensed (DRM, Vista) then... Hell yes, I love thepiratebay.
          selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

It would be rather like being told by Jelsoft that as you have changed hosts you must buy a new licence. It's ridiculous.

I'm dead against piracy but this is going too far.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

Actually i think you guys are way over-reacting.

The activation won/t be that much different from Windows XP, if you really do end up needing a new key, call Microsoft, they will issue you a new one..
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                • Jun 2004
                • 5.1.x

Like I said I see this as a non-issue.

Comment

• rjordan
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.6.x

I change two PCs out every year and a half or so. A little much, maybe, but I donate my PCs to a local day care center. So, after I give them one PC, I will have to buy a new license before I can give them another? No thanks. I have always been a Windows user. Until now, I never gave Apple a glance and barely touched Linux before putting it away. Now, if they say we are able to delete it from one PC and put it on another, then great. I will buy it. That is not what is sounds like. I also will stick with XP while looking into other possibilities.

I am crossing my fingers, however, that they change this policy, BUT...

Comment

• derfy
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                    Actually i think you guys are way over-reacting.

The activation won/t be that much different from Windows XP, if you really do end up needing a new key, call Microsoft, they will issue you a new one..
                    It's not that. It's the fact that Microsoft has you under the microscope. With Vista, does the license belong to you or the computer? If the former, then this is insane. If the latter, then this is a painful hoop to jump through.

Either way, I'm not 'upgrading' any time soon.

Comment

• Greps
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Freesteyelz
                      Here we go again with the suggestion of piracy; a blatant disregard of the law. I used to deal with piracy and copyright-related issues and I salivated bringing unlawful people/operations like you down.

If you don't like a product or the way a company handles their business simply do not use it/them.
                      hate to disappoint you, but your anger won't change anything. if you want to stop piracy - do so at the source (Microsoft). as someone said, you may bring me down (but you won't), but that are millions more of me. and idiotic policies such as the one we're discussing will only lead to more piracy.

as for me, I simply don't like to let go of the money I don't have to. if I could get new versions of vBulletin, support and mods without paying - I would gladly do so.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by rin
                        I am a paying customer of Jelsoft! This shows that I am willing to pay good money for good products. If however, a product sucks so hard, not because of whats inside, but rather because how it is licensed (DRM, Vista) then... Hell yes, I love thepiratebay.
                        If you don't think it is worth the money because of those restrictions why do you use it? Piracy is a crime, you shouldn't do that. China $1 cd's or torrents etc really doesn't help you or microsoft. Very lame.

Comment

• Zecherieh
                          • Oct 2000
                          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Funny thing is - how many people would this ever even being to effect? How many people actually buy a computer that doesnt come with Windows Pre Installed? So people that change computers - they just bought another license to windows.

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zecherieh
                            Funny thing is - how many people would this ever even being to effect? How many people actually buy a computer that doesnt come with Windows Pre Installed? So people that change computers - they just bought another license to windows.
                            That's true. I actually didn't see it this way, but I guess you are right, since Dell, etc. increase the price of the PC to pay for the Windows license.
                            Forums

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

You have the option to return the cd to microsoft and get your money back.

Comment

• Freesteyelz
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Greps
                                hate to disappoint you, but your anger won't change anything. if you want to stop piracy - do so at the source (Microsoft). as someone said, you may bring me down (but you won't), but that are millions more of me. and idiotic policies such as the one we're discussing will only lead to more piracy.
                                I'm knowledgable in the (piracy + copyright) game very well so it will take quite a lot to anger or surprise me. My determination removed people indulged in piracy so, actually, I did change a few things for the positive. From the MS level, just take a guess which products/company I specialized in.

BTW...Policies don't lead to piracy; dishonesty does. You have lawful options but I suspect that you and many others opt option C (steal and use it) when only options A (pay and use it) and B (don't use it) are present. Take responsibility for your actions instead of trying to justify piracy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...