Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zonex
    • Dec 2004

Vista licensing

Don't know if you have all heard. You can only upgrade your computer one time. If you wish to upgrade your computer a 2nd time, you will have to order a new copy of Vista.

Microsoft Restricts Vista Transfers
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

1 license per system, its how it should be..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Quillz
      • Nov 2004
      • 5.0.X

Will re-formating your PC count as "upgrading?"
      Forums

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Basicly if you build a computer for whatever reason, install Vista on it, its now tied to that computer, you can transfer it once to another new machine. If the new machine were to go bad, you'd be buying a new copy of vista.

Comment

• Zonex
          • Dec 2004

pray 2 of your motherboards dont burn out
          wonder if a hard drive replacement will trigger an upgrade?

Comment

• Sergio68
            • May 2002
            • 6.0.X

Too many problems and wasted licenses changing hardware, now check out my avatar
            Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
            Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zachery
              Basicly if you build a computer for whatever reason, install Vista on it, its now tied to that computer, you can transfer it once to another new machine. If the new machine were to go bad, you'd be buying a new copy of vista.
              So, basically, Microsoft is saying I'm not allowed to re-format my computer? Maybe I'll stick with WinXP.
              Forums

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

REformats yes, if its on the same machine all hardware included/

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

I have used the same key to activate Vista Ultimate nearly 50 times, no need to worry..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                    I have used the same key to activate Vista Ultimate nearly 50 times, no need to worry..
                    I agree 100%. I have had to format my computer many times in the past and re-install XP. I highly doubt Microsoft will enforce this one very closely.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Joe, if you happen to talk to someone inside Microsoft, tell them they've lost a customer. I will be one of those users that will actually click ' no, I do not agree to these terms ' , and purchase another operating system instead.

This is getting rediculous. If I have one license, I should have the permission to use that on one system, who gives a crap if I change my motherboard, ram, cpu, or any other part. It shouldn't even affect functionality besides updating a driver.

The warez version doesn't even ask for a serial anymore, nor activation. it is super easy for those people to install a pirated edition. Whereas as a paying customer you're limited and put in a cage and should pray twice per day and call their hotline to suck up to their company. To get permission to type qwerty without adding the (tm) to every letter.

This started with XP already, but unfortinatly I had to use it then. I'm moving on. This is too restricted, too expansive, and no longer justified in my eyes.

I will put Win XP as dual boot to my systems now, so I can still play a game that hasn't come out for linux or mac yet. But they're no longer getting any of my money for their support or products.

Sorry to be rude, or sound rude rather. But I can't believe that everybody complains about this and still uses it a day later. Pirated or not. I for one won't do that and change to a professional operating system instead.

Comment

• Lenni
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 3.6.x

If they indeed do that, and hardware changes would make it impossible to use that license as often as I want, I am more than happy to get myself a copy in China for less than a dollar. But I am sure that until then they have found a way to crack away this stupid restriction.
                        selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Freesteyelz
                          • Jan 2006

As far as I know the hash and tolerance for hardware upgrades are still in effect (though, referring to the hardware point system of activation). Plus, if your hardware craps out and is covered under warranty the EULA will permit you to replace the hardware without replacing the OS.

The wording is key. Limited to one transfer to a "new" computer; installing and transferring are two different things. Though, restricting the OS to be legally installed on 1 system at a time (current state for Retail/FPP) makes sense but limiting the amount of transfers a customer can legally do is something I'll need to think over.

Originally posted by Floris
                          Joe, if you happen to talk to someone inside Microsoft, tell them they've lost a customer. I will be one of those users that will actually click ' no, I do not agree to these terms ' , and purchase another operating system instead.
                          Then talk to me; but never by obligation of course. Though, you've directed it to Joe so NM.

Edited: Typo and moved paragrahs...
                          Last edited by Freesteyelz; Wed 18 Oct '06, 8:38pm.

Comment

• Sergio68
                            • May 2002
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
                            This is getting rediculous. If I have one license, I should have the permission to use that on one system, who gives a crap if I change my motherboard, ram, cpu, or any other part. It shouldn't even affect functionality besides updating a driver.

The warez version doesn't even ask for a serial anymore, nor activation. it is super easy for those people to install a pirated edition. Whereas as a paying customer you're limited and put in a cage and should pray twice per day and call their hotline to suck up to their company. To get permission to type qwerty without adding the (tm) to every letter.
                            Yep!

The final act with me was with the support, a neverending story on the phone between Italy, Ireland and Canada, then they gave me back my prepayed money without problem to be solved.
                            Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                            Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• pablo
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 3.8.x

Personally I don't plan on buying Vista (or getting an illegal copy) I've heard that the graphics usage will kill my battery on my laptop.
                              My Sites :

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...