• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anzo
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.5.x

Need help copying forum within the same server

Hello.

I currently run vBulletin 3.5.4 and I need to make an exact copy of my forum (on the same server) to run some tests. I've never done anything like this before and I need help and advices.

How should I do it?

As far as I understand I should first copy the whole folder with files of my forum to another folder (let's say "test"). Then I do what? I copy the database? How do I make my new database run with my newly copied files?

Please help.

Thank you.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You need to make a backup of the database then restore it to a new database.

The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Bigdump:
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• eJM
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      You need to make a backup of the database then restore it to a new database.

The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.
      Hi Steve,

I have spent an hour or so trying to research how to set up a test board with an exact copy of my working forums. I keep running across this boilerplate response from you and it is very helpful regarding restoring a database backup. But it leaves everything else out.

Do I install vB from the original package, or can I forgo that in lieu of just uploading a backup of all my website files and directories. Or maybe it's a little bit of both: install the basics from the original package, including same name and password; set it up with a new database, then import the database backup into the new database and upload all the backed-up files and folders from the working board and it should be good to go?

I'm confused and kinda tired of searching. Can you add the information I need to set up an exact copy of my site on my test domain. I have already password protected it and I have backups of all my directories, files, images and database ready to be uploaded when it's time.

Thank you for any guidance,

Jim
      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
      www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

To make a test copy of your board, you can follow the instruction in our documentation on Moving Servers

But the basic steps are:
        - Create a new database
        - Dump an restore your database to a new database.
        - Copy all files from old to new account.
        - Edit the includes/config.php to match the new database details.
        - Login to your AdminCP and set the Forum URL & cookie settings to match the new install in your vBulletin Options. Note: If you have problems logging in to your AdminCP after the move, please use tools.php from teh 'do_not"upload' directory of your vBulletin distribution to reset the Cookie settings.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Queen
          • Feb 2005

this is what i would have done

-backup you web folder of vbulletin (use FTP and download the vbulletin forum folder to your c driver somewhere in a folder)

-go in cpanel make a db for the test forum. Lets say the sql db is called forumtest that u have made.

-Now you have to make a copy of ur sql db that the forums is using. Let us presume the db is called forums_mysite , I would use the mysqlhotcopy command in root and type the following.

-first go to the location where i have my sql's stored (most prob it will be /var/lib/mysql/ ) in that /var/lib/mysql/ you will find /var/lib/mysql/forums_mysite/ (that folder will automatically be there once u have made it in the cpanel)

then i would use the mysqlhotcopy command and copy the current forum db to the forumtest that i just made in the /var/lib/mysql/

PHP Code:
          mysqlhotcopy db_name [/path/to/new_directory
          so in my example you would type:

mysqlhotcopy forums_mysite /var/lib/mysql/forumtest/

this above will copy the forums_mysite to the forumtest.

make sure the mysqlhotcopy comes in /forumtest and not in /forumtest/forums_mysite if thats the case just move the *.* files from var/lib/mysql/forumtest/forums_mysite to /var/lib/mysql/forumtest/

Once u have done that you have the test db ready

-reup the backup forum folder to ur ftp call it testforum

-simply edit the includes/config.php to match the new database details.

Login to your AdminCP and set the Forum URL & cookie settings to match the new install in your vBulletin Options. Note: If you have problems logging in to your AdminCP after the move, please use tools.php from teh 'do_not"upload' directory of your vBulletin distribution to reset the Cookie settings

I hope i was clear, this can be done very fast, if u are familier with linux commands u can just zip the vbulletin folder inside ssh and then extract it , and then run the mysqlhotcopy command and thas it and make db from cpanel first ofcourse.

usually this takes 2 minutes.

i hope it helped.

Comment

• Antivirus
            • Feb 2004
            • 3.8.x

you could also try importing the data from the first installation into the test installation using Impex. It's quite easy actually and when i did it (from 3.5.5 -> 3.5.5), only issue i had was to re-assign the diaplay order of my forums.
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Eclipse Records - independent record company focused on active rock & alternative metal music
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...avbit-home.png Streetcult Street Team Marketing - grassroots marketing, promotion, consulting, & digital distribution

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
              • Nov 2004
              • 3.8.x

ImpEx will not create an exact copy of your production board, and is not the easiest way to create a copy.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...