X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Eu Vat?

I'm no expert in UK VAT regulations, and not sure if this is legally viable within EU law, but could it not be viable to charge EU customers a lower price that when VAT is added on, comes to the same price as US customers?

I just feel like EU customers have been drawn the short straw here. And at the end of the day how are you going to moderate UK orders? I could get a friend in the US to buy me the license, and then transfer it to my name the next day...
    Last edited by Dean C; Wed 18 Jan '06, 5:07am.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  • HenryG2
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.8.x

Isn't it a tax, meaning Jelsoft does not profit from this, but some other, greater body?

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by HenryG2
      Isn't it a tax, meaning Jelsoft does not profit from this, but some other, greater body?
      Yes. But at the end of the day by doing this, the customer is the only one who loses out. This isn't really Jelsoft's fault as it's UK (EU?) law, but I think you'll find a lot of people trying to cheat the system (and doing so easily).
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

We're technically offering a price reduction in the EU of 17.5% and are making a profit loss on every license.

You still end up paying the correct amount afaik.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Kier
          Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Dean C
          but could it not be viable to charge EU customers a lower price that when VAT is added on, comes to the same price as US customers?
          That's exactly what we're doing until April 30th, if you read the announcement.

Comment

• Kier
            Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
            • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Dean C
            I think you'll find a lot of people trying to cheat the system (and doing so easily).
            We can't prevent people from cheating the system. All we can do is show that we are abiding by tax regulations.

Comment

• Ashley Busby
              • Oct 2002

The VAT is a tax and we simply pass it over to the VAT office. EU and UK purchases are liable for VAT and we are abiding by the current VAT rules, just as customers are obliged to abide by the prevailing VAT legislation.

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                • Mar 2003

Don't you just love being part of Europe (!)

Can't you just claim the HQ is in the U.S or something, or find some other loopholes?

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Dec 2000

We're a UK Registered Ltd company and that would be tax fraud. I dont think any of us would look good in striped outfits.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• BassX
                    • Oct 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Can someone explain what the VAT applies to? Does it only apply to online purchases or does it apply to everything you purchase?

As an American I've heard of the VAT but didn't realize it was 17.5% — that seems ridiculous.

Comment

• Ashley Busby
                      • Oct 2002

VAT is charge on all of our products and services to those customers in the EU or UK only. You can find more information about VAT in general, on the web.

Comment

• chrispadfield
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BassX
                        Can someone explain what the VAT applies to? Does it only apply to online purchases or does it apply to everything you purchase?

As an American I've heard of the VAT but didn't realize it was 17.5% — that seems ridiculous.
                        It's the same type of thing as a US state sales tax, the major difference being that prices for most things sold in the UK pre-include the VAT. It is however a rather complicated tax, I have a 300 odd page book on it somewhere on my bookshelf!
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                          • Jun 2002

Let's move Jelsoft to the US
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                            • Mar 2003

So how come they've started now, or is it something that's just gone un-noticed?

so paying the EU all this ****ty tax, and what have they done for us? force us to sell yellower straighter banana's and put massive insults on fag packets?

O.K, i'll stop now, don't want this to turn into an EU rant.

Comment

• Ashley Busby
                              • Oct 2002

The UK, and the EU for that matter, has many rules and regulations that effect businesses and individuals alike. Jelsoft is now required to charge VAT in accordance with the rules and regulations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...