Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medved
    • Apr 2008

How to remove a link?

I noticed on my website that there is no way to remove a link. I am testing it here if the same problem is here too.
    Last edited by medved; Tue 14 Oct '14, 5:10pm.
  • medved
    • Apr 2008

Confirmed, there is no way to remove that video once it is posted. Can someone please fix that bug? Thanks.

BTW, this forum is probably not using a good webhost. It is taking around 52 seconds to place a post. Sometimes i have to stop the "working" process and try to post again. It is extremely slow.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

It's not a bug.
      Links posted that way are a separate content type - Link - and as with Photo content types, there is a minimum of one link per post.

Your only option is to delete the post completely and repost it as a ordinary post.

Alternatively, add links/videos using orinary BBcode (there are buttons within the advanced editor), then you'll be able to just edit them out.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

You can remove the video and replace it with another video. But you cannot change its content type. Once it is posted as a Video post, it cannot be converted to other content types.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• jdj
          • Jan 2009
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by medved
          Confirmed, there is no way to remove that video once it is posted. Can someone please fix that bug? Thanks.
          You're right: Just tried it. If I add a link using the underlined A "toggle advanced" button I can add and remove a link. If I use the "add link" feature to the left of my post then subsequently hit "edit" it will let me edit the post and edit the link, but it will not let me save the post. So if you're not using the advanced editor you can't remove links.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Confirmed, there is no way to remove that video once it is posted. Can someone please fix that bug?
            It isn't a bug. Delete the topic if you no longer want it that. That is the standard method of deleting a link topic.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jdj

You're right: Just tried it. If I add a link using the underlined A "toggle advanced" button I can add and remove a link. If I use the "add link" feature to the left of my post then subsequently hit "edit" it will let me edit the post and edit the link, but it will not let me save the post. So if you're not using the advanced editor you can't remove links.
              The buttons on the left are content types. You cannot post a Link Topic type without a Link. Use the default Text Content type if you don't want to force a link.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medved
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

It isn't a bug. Delete the topic if you no longer want it that. That is the standard method of deleting a link topic.
                It is not possible to delete this topic.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

It is not possible to delete this topic.
                  You can delete any post, or topic, if you have the correct permissions.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• medved
                    • Apr 2008

The buttons on the left are content types. You cannot post a Link Topic type without a Link. Use the default Text Content type if you don't want to force a link.
                    So what's the use of this "link topic"? Why was such thing created, when there is a video button within the advanced editor?

BTW, the advanced editor is hidden behind the "A" icon, so many people dont know that there is any advanced editor and keep using that not-so-much-practical "Link Topic".
                    Last edited by medved; Tue 14 Oct '14, 9:52am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

That is the design of the software...it's based on the use of content types. There is an improvement request to allow switching content types which would solve this. I don't know if it will ever be implemented though.

There's also an improvement request somewhere to have the advanced editor displayed all the time if you choose to expand it.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• medved
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mark.B

You can delete any post, or topic, if you have the correct permissions.
                        And that is the problem.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

And that is the problem.

Well on this site you don't have permission to delete topics. However on your own, you can click on the Gear icon at the top of the page and select "Delete Topic" to remove it. If you don't have permission to delete topics on your own site, you need to review your permissions.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• medved
                            • Apr 2008

Well on this site you don't have permission to delete topics. However on your own, you can click on the Gear icon at the top of the page and select "Delete Topic" to remove it. If you don't have permission to delete topics on your own site, you need to review your permissions.
                            It is not about me, it is about the user. The user cant delete the topic, same way as i cant delete the topic here. Your advise was to delete the topic, but i cant delete the topic here, same way as my users cant delete the topic on my website. So it is not a good (usable) solution.

Comment

• medved
                              • Apr 2008

That is the design of the software...it's based on the use of content types. There is an improvement request to allow switching content types which would solve this. I don't know if it will ever be implemented though.
                              That would be a useful solution. Even better and simpler solution would be just to remove that "Link Post" function completely. What is it good for anyways?

There's also an improvement request somewhere to have the advanced editor displayed all the time if you choose to expand it.
                              Why that can be expanded there all the time, or at least always when you click in the text field? Why do we have to complicate things by hiding it?

Comment