How much bandwidth do I need to run a vb???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marcel Lee
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

How much bandwidth do I need to run a vb???

My host server package includes 5 gigabytes of monthly transfer (and 250 megabytes of disk space).

Is that enough to run a vb?

How much traffic can that hold?

How many people on-line, posting, viewing pics, etc, at one time, can that take without "overloading"?

Should I buy more gigabytes of monthly transfer?

My vb opens May 1st. I need to know before it opens.

I'm new at all this.

Please help me.

Thank you.
  • Marcel Lee
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

By the way, what should I set my GZIP at?

I'm totally confused about that.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

That should be enough to start. We can't tell you how much your forums will cost to operate or how much bandwidth they would take. There are many factors involved including the number of graphics and their size, your traffic and how much your members talk.

You should set your GZIP to 1 which is the default.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Marcel Lee
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by wluke
        That should be enough to start. We can't tell you how much your forums will cost to operate or how much bandwidth they would take. There are many factors involved including the number of graphics and their size, your traffic and how much your members talk.

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

• Pabs
          • Apr 2002

Why start at 1? I thought the higher the number, the more bandwidth you conserve???

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

The resources used in terms of memory and CPU time do not provide a good enough return on compression after 1. It isn't a start at one but the fact that for your resources, this is the best setting with the best return on your investment.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Pabs
              • Apr 2002

The resources used in terms of memory and CPU time do not provide a good enough return on compression after 1. It isn't a start at one but the fact that for your resources, this is the best setting with the best return on your investment.
              I'm not sure I understand.......

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Pabs

I'm not sure I understand.......
                '1' provides roughly 98% of the compression you would get using a higher number, while the higher values use significantly more server resources.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Pabs
                  • Apr 2002

Ok so basically, I had it backwards. This is important because I want to make sure I don't exceed my bandwidth and piss off my hosts by slowing the machine down.

I have 25 GB transfer.

Would a middle number like 4 or 5 be better?

Advice needed.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Trust us when we say that 1 is the best number to use. There is absolutely no reason to go any higher.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Here are the values on the vBulletin Home page at 0 through 9 if it were gzipped. Note that this does not give any indication of the higher system resources used as the value increases.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Pabs
                        • Apr 2002

Thanks smachol.

I also noticed this when reading about No-Cache Headers:

"Selecting yes will cause vBulletin to add no-cache HTTP headers. These are very effective, so adding them may cause server load to increase due to increase page requests."

Now, does Server Load to increase mean it will speed up, explaining it's effectiveness? Or meaning it'll take longer.

PS - Sorry for all these questions....I first installed this board a little over 24 hours ago (I'm on a new host)!

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Pabs
                          Thanks smachol.

I also noticed this when reading about No-Cache Headers:

"Selecting yes will cause vBulletin to add no-cache HTTP headers. These are very effective, so adding them may cause server load to increase due to increase page requests."

Now, does Server Load to increase mean it will speed up, explaining it's effectiveness? Or meaning it'll take longer.

PS - Sorry for all these questions....I first installed this board a little over 24 hours ago (I'm on a new host)!
                          increased cpu load means things take longer to do... which isn't good
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...