X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murad
    • Apr 2002

Qustions from UBB user

Hello,
    I am considering moving form UBB 6.2.1.2 to vBulletin (or some other database based forum) for scalability reasons. If someone can answere following questions that I have, it will make it easier for me to decide:[list=1][*]How much database/disk space will I need to transfer a UBB 6.2.1 forum that has about 170,000+ posts in 50 forums and 8 categories.[*] Is it possible to for visitors to post with some name without requiring them to register.[*] Can file upload feature be turned off.[*] My current site is all designed in ASP and Access/MSSQL database. I am thinking about moving forums to a different server/host and link it to main site using fourms.mydomain.com. Can I insert javascript/asp codes in template to load random banners and product promos from my main site.[/list=1]
    I do not have any experience with MySQL/PHP4 and therefore I am also looking at options with ASP based forums. However, I do want to preserve my existing fourms in UBB 6.2 and am leaning towards vBulletin/UBBThread just for this reason.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Re: Qustions from UBB user

Originally posted by Murad
    How much database/disk space will I need to transfer a UBB 6.2.1 forum that has about 170,000+ posts in 50 forums and 8 categories.
    Your database should be between 15% and 30% the size of your current UBB files, I am guessing. When SitePoint Forums switched from UBB 5.47 we saved 80% on diskspace.

Is it possible to for visitors to post with some name without requiring them to register.
    You can allow guests to post and choose a name on a forum by forum basis.

Can file upload feature be turned off.
    This can be turned off on a usergroup by usergroup basis. You can also set all usergroup permission on a forum by forum basis to finetune your setup.

My current site is all designed in ASP and Access/MSSQL database. I am thinking about moving forums to a different server/host and link it to main site using fourms.mydomain.com. Can I insert javascript/asp codes in template to load random banners and product promos from my main site.
    You can use Javascript but I don't think you can use any ASP even if your server supports it due to processing order by the server.

I do not have any experience with MySQL/PHP4 and therefore I am also looking at options with ASP based forums. However, I do want to preserve my existing fourms in UBB 6.2 and am leaning towards vBulletin/UBBThread just for this reason.
    No experience is really needed. If you have programmed in SQL with Access you have the basics you need to learn MySQL fairly easily. You do not need to know PHP for any operation in vBulletin. All the layout is standard HTML and is included in templates. No layout is in the actual PHP files.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Murad
      • Apr 2002

I just finished importing ubb6 forum into vBulletin. I am slightly disappointed at the database size.

My current ubb6 forum that I converted is taking a total disk space of 283 MB (includes everything: members/search index/posts etc.).

After conversion the MySQL database folder is taking a total disk space of 384 MB.

Here is breakdown of major database files in MySQL:

searchindex: 7,304,331 records | 179.3 MB
      thread: 23,054 rcords | 2.9 MB
      word: 417,676 records | 30.8 MB

Most of the bulk was added after building the search index. Are there any pointers to optimizing the database size?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Hmmm..

I have over 392000 posts, 22000 PMs, 11000 Users and numerous attachments and my database is only 100K larger than yours.

In your Admin Control Panel under "vBulletin Options" what are your minimum search length and maximum search length set to? If you run a general topic forum, I would recommend some thing 4,12 respectively. If you are running a coding related forum then I would recommend 3,11 respectively.

Other things you can do is limit the size of Avatars, Attachments, and Private Messages both the length and the number stored.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Murad
          • Apr 2002

I don't have any attachments or avatars at the moment. Private messaging is off. Bulk of the databsae is in tables as I have listed. I left word lengths at default as 4,20 as installed. However, I think I can reduce it to 4,12.

I had programmed my own search engine for my website in ASP. There I learned that most search engines have a table of 'noise' words which are excluded from being indexed. I think vBulletin developers should look into that and implement it in next version.

At the moment I think it is indexing even codes which are inside <> or [] and things like:
          /><hr></blockquote>
          &8216aa&8217ishah
          ====================
          expected/wanted
          &gt&gt&gt&gt&gt&gt
          '/' should have been counted as word boundary in fornication/adultery
          ================== need not be indexed. words should only be alphanumeric.

However, even after manually deleting these and some other common words from my database, my searchindex size went down to only 150 MB from 179 MB.
          Last edited by Murad; Tue 23 Apr '02, 6:50pm.

Comment

• Murad
            • Apr 2002

wluke,
            Sorry, I just found that there is a badwords list in PHP (its just not in database). However, the problem of not determining word boundaries correctly and indexing ascii characters such as & and ===== is still there.

I still haven't been able to figure out what is it that is causing my database size to be so much bigger compared to your forum which has log more posts and users.

I only have about 4,200 registered user and 172,000 posts.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You can add anything you want to the badwords.php file so if there is some weird word spellings or slang your members used you can add it. Also any new bbcode tags that you create.

I had thought the basic BBcode tags had been added to the list recently but may be mistaken. Haven't looked at it recently.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Murad
                • Apr 2002

Well I think adding over 30,000 words in bad list is not feasible. The problem is that it is not recoginzing word boundaries correctly. I have thousands of words indexed like this (listing one word per line for Word table in database):

obey/serve/worship
                benefits/downfalls
                expected/wanted
                backgound/wallpaper
                testament...there
                author....unknown.
                author...tertullian
                barnabas...adolf
                hebrews...eusebius
                epistlesletters
                contributing.<br
                everywhere...africa
                penetration.<br
                intention...however
                breasted...some
                american/europena
                remember...breathe
                moderators/admins
                /><strong>...<br
                /><strong>proof
                e.ricardo....is
                &8216user&8217s
                socio/culturally
                href=http//www.sufo
                communion/eucharist
                sv...interesting
                perspectives...i
                exegesis....and
                />besides..waht
                thought..sheesh
                illmannered.<br
                words...everything
                /url=http//forums
                color=firebrick
                street....because
                quran....coming
                verification.”<br
                slaves/captives
                fine...well...my
                mentioned...here
                part.....yeah..thats
                />[email protected]

some of this I can take care of by changing the max lenght of words to <15. But still . and / and ' should be counted as word boundaries. It seems that searchindex only recognizes space as word boundary.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Not being a developer and not having ever modified the indexing routines for my own purposes, I don't know what it does use as word boundaries.

I can say that the search engine is being fine-tuned for the next major release to make it easier to control what it does index and to make the results more relevant.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...