Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iconic
    • Mar 2002

Legality Question

My friend is working on a site I admin on.. he currently uses a burning board but I'm trying to convince him to get a vB. Now, this is my question.. If I were to turn my liscenced board off - but not actually delete the files, and use my subscription for him to have a vB until he can pay, would this be legal? My forum would be inactive and down.. but I wouldnt want to lose my member files, etc..... so.. yeah, thats the question.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I think this would be ok as long as you update the Forums URL in the Members Area to reflect the new location.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• slinky
      • Mar 2001
      • 1.1.x

The license says:

"A vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of vBulletin on one web server and one web site for each license purchased."
      My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Andy Z
        • Nov 2001

If the developers okay it you could,

(a) If you have no PHP file mods (hacks) just make a dump with SSH or use phpMyAdmin for your vB DB, so you keep yoru templates, etc.

(b) If you have modified PHP files just download them to your computer into a folder or whatever and then do the dump of the DB and sownload that. Then delete your PHP files, you could keep the DB if you wanted to.

Then upload for your friend, change the URL in the Members' Area, and your good to go until your friend gets his own license. Once he has his license change theu URL back, reupload your PHP files (and DB if you deleted it) and your good to go again. ( I don;t believe you'll have to run the install.) You'll still have your members, posts, etc.
        - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...