Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zaon
    • Feb 2002

Version 3.0 of vBulletin...

Has there been any mention as to whether or not v3.0 of vBulletin boards will have a means for allowing File Attachments that are instead uploaded to web space instead of encoding them into the database??

That way we won't have to dramatically increase the size of our board backups due to lots of file attachments that don't need to be backedup regularly anyway... Also, individual attachments can be purged later as they become irrelevant, etc.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't search on terms as short as "3.0" and so on.

This file attachment issue is huge to me... I've had to turn it off because of the size it makes the database but really need it for those who don't have web space... Thanks for any info you can provide!
    :-)
  • Freddie Bingham
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • May 2000
    • 1.1.x

Yes, you can choose if you want them in the database or in your filesystem.

Comment

• zaon
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by freddie
      Yes, you can choose if you want them in the database or in your filesystem.
      Hell yeah! That is awesome!

Thanks for the speedy response and the great news..

::scampers off smiling and eagerly awaiting 3.0::

Comment

• Mike Warner
        • Jun 2001
        • 4.0.x

Very good news as I am in the same position as zaon. Will there be the same option for Avatars also?
        Mike Warner
        MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Mike Warner
          Very good news as I am in the same position as zaon. Will there be the same option for Avatars also?
          I don't know. It will either be an option or it will be filesystem only so either way you will get them into the FS. Same with profile pictures and signature pictures. Have those been brought up? Oops, guess I should be quiet now.
          Last edited by Freddie Bingham; Mon 8 Apr '02, 7:57am.

Comment

• zaon
            • Feb 2002

Thanks, Freddie.

Incidentally, has there been any mention as to when 3.0 is due out? (Give or take a month or two, but more specific than a fiscal quarter or year?)

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

It will be *at the very least* a month until any sort of beta, and it will probably be more like two to three months till then.

Comment

• Mike Warner
                • Jun 2001
                • 4.0.x

Thanks for the feedback guys. I can finally start using avatars and uploads without worrying about caching and database size.

Thanks.
                Mike Warner
                MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...