Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheetah
    • Apr 2002

Two Quick 'Pre' Questions

I was just curious about the ease of a Vbulletin installation.
    I would rate my computer knowledge as advanced, but I've never dealt with MySql,PhP or setting up bulletin board software on a remote server.
    I'm highly considering using the one of the two hosting companies recommended in this forum: Ventures or Zeonhost with both having MySql.
    Should it be a fairly easy setup?
    Last question, my forum will have approximately 1500 members with around 100-150 logging in daily and averaging about 200 messages daily.
    Is there a space issue I should consider as a minimum? I'm looking at the 100-200mb region now, but some servers restrict MySql database space to around 30mb. Will this be a problem?
    Thanks for any help

Alan
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

The setup is very easy and doesn't require a real working knowledge of PHP and mySQL.

As for the db size, that should be fine for at least a few months. Beyond that you can either turn off attachments, avatars, or mass prune old threads.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• nuno
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

Re: Two Quick 'Pre' Questions

Originally posted by Cheetah
      .........but some servers restrict MySql database space to around 30mb. Will this be a problem?
      Thanks for any help

Alan
      yes.
      get at least 500mb.
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

i'd look for a hosting plan with at least

350 to 500 mb of web space AND 50 to 100mb of database space to begin with
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Conrad
          • Mar 2002

Does the space required only get filled up by posts or are their other features (discarding upload) that can add to it? I'm asking because when running a UBB board I had a forum that occupied about 50MBs (from 140MBs available on my account), but after several days my account ran out of free disk space because the frigging cache kept growing?

Does vB have something similar that I have to watch out for?

Comment

• Susan
            • May 2000

From PHPmyadmin, my Database takes up about 31mb. I have 31,000 posts, 1,842 threads and 161 members. A lot of my posts are very short, though.

The search index is the one that grows with VB, but it's not totally out of control.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...