Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helado27
    • Apr 2002

Multi-Purpose MySQL DB

Excuse me for being unfamiliarized with MySQL.

My webhost allows me to have unlimited tables and fields in my MySQL databse, but I only get one actual database. Can this database be shared between db-driven-website-stuff and vB, or does vB need its own individual databse? Sorry I couldn't phrase my question any better....
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

AS long as the other table names don't conflict with vBulletin you can have as many tables as you want in the database.

I think the table names in vB3 will be changed to make the chances of conflict lower but am not certain on that point at this time.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by wluke
      AS long as the other table names don't conflict with vBulletin you can have as many tables as you want in the database.

I think the table names in vB3 will be changed to make the chances of conflict lower but am not certain on that point at this time.
      Are you implying a possible prefix? Or do you mean this otherwise?

On-topic..
      I have a guestbook, a poll script and private news section and something special for the back-end of the forum, all in the same database where vB is in too. I am unfortn. and only have access to one mysql database myself too.
      I made sure, prior to installation, that those scripts we installed (and made ourself) were not conflicting with any table used by vBulletin (which gets priority over everything ofcourse).
      Some scripts had prefix option guestbook_table1, guestbook_table2, etc. and some did not, but they did not use the same table names, the news & special thingy we wrote, we gave our own prefix.

It is always handy to open the install.php file and any other possible files used for config/setup (and even sometimes file.sql) to see which tables are created (and make sure you do not overlook!)

And ofcourse, ALWAYS backup!!

So yes, you can have use the database for other stuff too, as long as the other stuff does not use the tables that are meant for vBulletin.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by xiphoid
        I have a guestbook, a poll script and private news section and something special for the back-end of the forum, all in the same database where vB is in too. I am unfortn. and only have access to one mysql database myself too.
        Same here (not everything you mentioned though), and vBulletin doesn't seem to care. If you're installing somebody else's software, read the code first to make sure no table names conflict with vBulletin's or anything else in the db.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...