Has vB ever gone on sale?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greggish

Originally posted by tubedogg
    The price will not be going down, if that's what you are implying. "Free competitor" is kind of an oxymoron...

I really don't consider phpBB to be competition. The only thing it's got going for it is a new style.
    I didn't mention phpBB in my post...I just said "free alternatives". But, it is not surpising that phpBB would be very much on the minds of the vBulletin developers and automatically pop into your head. I don't necessarily see a contradiction in terms between "free' and "competitor", consider how Microsoft is more than just a little bit agitated over Linux. As far as the current pricing of vBulletin remaining unchanged, only time will tell on that one. But I'd be willing to make a friendly wager that it doesn't.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by greggish
      But, it is not surpising that phpBB would be very much on the minds of the vBulletin developers and automatically pop into your head.
      Yeah, especially considering all the new posters that have been spamming the board with advertisements for phpBB over the last couple of weeks.

P.S. This isn't directed at you or anyone else in this thread.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

phpBB comes up because alot of phpBB users want to convert over to vB and are asking for importers
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• TFX
          • Jul 2001

Originally posted by smachol
          Yeah, especially considering all the new posters that have been spamming the board with advertisements for phpBB over the last couple of weeks.
          Well, unlike other boards we take this sort of thing seriously at 'our board' (edited by TFX to remove 'that' site name which begins with p and ends with b ) ... so, if you let us have the usernames and/or IP's of said spammers we'll see if they frequent our boards and have a quiet word with them. We have never condoned spamming of other boards and have always done our best to stop it as and when it starts (which is extremely rare given our users get to know how we feel about that sort of thing very quickly).
          Last edited by TFX; Sat 6 Apr '02, 3:49am.

Comment

• PebbyCat
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by TFX

Well, unlike other boards we take this sort of thing seriously at *****.*** ... so, if you let us have the usernames and/or IP's of said spammers we'll see if they frequent our boards and have a quiet word with them. We have never condoned spamming of other boards and have always done our best to stop it as and when it starts (which is extremely rare given our users get to know how we feel about that sort of thing very quickly).
            Well what did you SPAM again?, lol

Comment

• TFX
              • Jul 2001

sigh, fine, I put 'that' site in there ... it was purely a reactive thing given the past few days of directing users to the 'new' site so I appologise. I guess vB admins never make mistakes do they?

Now, if you'd rather just point out that mistake than help us help you fine, we've already had enough of dealing with vB users spamming our dev board to the point we ended up having to contact Jelsoft directly in an attempt to have it stopped ... so please, glass houses and large stones and all that

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by TFX
                ... so, if you let us have the usernames and/or IP's of said spammers we'll see if they frequent our boards and have a quiet word with them.
                Thanks! It seems to have quieted down over the last few days. If it happens again I'll let you know.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• okrogius
                  • Dec 2001

But do spekaing of competition WBB is releasing english version 2 soon. And it's not going to be free.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...