Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helado27
    • Apr 2002

Features lost from UBB?

I am a current UBB user and my license is running out, and I'm considering migrating to vBulletin because of the low cost, high speed, and sheer wow-factor.

However, I'm worried that I'll make the change and I'll suddenly realize that a beloved feature is missing. From everything I've read, it sounds like vBulletin is pretty beefy; but can you guys come up with some significant UBB features that I won't find in vBB?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

UBB is flatfile.
    vBulletin is PHP driven and has a database.
    One feature that would drags me over the line!

Comment

• ubbuser
      • Jan 2002

Hi Helado27 I migrated from Ubb hacked to vB and I must say vB is a way more superior product and am happy with it so far.

I do not think I am missing any UBB feature as all the features that were in UBB, plus tons of other useful features that make mine, and my moderator's job easier are available in vbulletin.

I do not think vB is a beefy product as you say as most of the additional features that you see now (default installation) in these forums can be turned off to match UBB's look.

Make sure you your questions are answered here, and that your version of UBB has an import script ready.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

One feature you'll lose is the extremely sloooooow UBB search engine. Unfortunately vB's database driven search function is extremely fast and won't allow you enough time to get a cup of coffee and read the New York Times while waiting for your search to complete.

It can be a real bummer if you count on using this extra time to get caught up on work and household chores.

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• qasic
          • May 2001

vBulletin is missing:

* the ability to easily translate via Wordlets
          * PDN (public display name changing)
          * easy to modify color styles (you need to modify these templates manually in vBulletin; some consider to be a benefit, others don't)
          * additional features found in the Recent Visitors aka WOL (e.g., % which is the most popular forums)

That's about it. Everything else vB has is superior to UBB.

qasic

Comment

• Sn2
            • Feb 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by smachol
            One feature you'll lose is the extremely sloooooow UBB search engine. Unfortunately vB's database driven search function is extremely fast and won't allow you enough time to get a cup of coffee and read the New York Times while waiting for your search to complete.

It can be a real bummer if you count on using this extra time to get caught up on work and household chores.

That sounds about right to me.

You also lose the ubb feature of making template editing extremely hard, instead, you have an amazingly easy to navigate and edit web-based templates system.

Which is a bummer if you like doing a load more work than you should do

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by qasic
              vBulletin is missing:
              * the ability to easily translate via Wordlets
              Instead of translating out-of-context sentences or words, you can easily translate things in-context in the template system. There are also many common language template sets posted in the templates forum both here and at vbulletin.org so you don't have to translate for yourself.
              * easy to modify color styles (you need to modify these templates manually in vBulletin; some consider to be a benefit, others don't)
              You don't have to modify the templates to create new color schemes - you can create 50 new color schemes and use the same template set for every one, giving you a quick way to allow your visitors to choose their favorite colors without a lot of work.

Comment

• max4everca
                • Mar 2002

Originally posted by xiphoid
                UBB is flatfile.
                vBulletin is PHP driven and has a database.
                One feature that would drags me over the line!
                Hi,
                this my first post
                I just want to say that UBB Threads is php and its database is MySql. but What I think is UBB does not have is the calender feature also it doesn't have the searching features as VB.
                Good Luck

Comment

• okrogius
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by qasic

* PDN (public display name changing)
                  * additional features found in the Recent Visitors aka WOL (e.g., % which is the most popular forums)

qasic
                  * PDN (public display name changing) - vbulletin.org, PPN wrote that quick hack.

* easy to modify color styles (you need to modify these templates manually in vBulletin; some consider to be a benefit, others don't) - If you jsut want to modify colors you jsut enter them in fields which is incredibly easy. If you're changing where everything is physically aroudn tempaltes are MUCH easier then manually changing the cgi file for instance.

* additional features found in the Recent Visitors aka WOL (e.g., % which is the most popular forums) - see vbulletin.org there are hacks ato add anything you could've saw.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I think qasic's point is that these features are not in the default vB as it ships. The only point I'd quibble about is the comment about changing colors. This is incredibly easy to do from the Styles option in the Admin CP. No need to touch the templates at all.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• BillaBongUSA
                      • Mar 2002

Am I the only one that hates that Public Display Name changing thing? If you ask me, it get pretty darned annoying. I visit a website that uses UBB, and there's this idiot that changes his name just about every day, and it's hard to keep up with who he is.
                      http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

It's not just you. I've never cared for that idea either.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by max4everca

Hi,
                          this my first post
                          I just want to say that UBB Threads is php and its database is MySql. but What I think is UBB does not have is the calender feature also it doesn't have the searching features as VB.
                          Good Luck
                          UBB 5.x is.
                          I dont have info about 6.x.. sorry if it is.

Comment

• Chen
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by xiphoid
                            UBB 5.x is.
                            I dont have info about 6.x.. sorry if it is.
                            He's talking about UBBThreads™, not UBB™.

Edit: I almost forgot to put the ™ mark!
                            Chen Avinadav
                            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...