Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conrad
    • Mar 2002

Which is better, Infopop or vBulletin?

I have been a long-time user of UBB, and I have always been very satisfied with their flagship product: UBB. Infopop stands for quality, their bulletin board systems are top-notch, and their customer service is unparalleled. They will go to the end of the world to help you out with any problems that you might encounter.

My personal story comes in at a point when I needed to upgrade my UBB to a database-driven solution because of server-load problems. The two reasonable alternatives were UBB Threads and vBulletin. Because money wasn't the issue I bought both, being willing to test them out before choosing which one to use. To be honest Threads was a shock to someone like me, who has always been used to UBB. I couldn't get used to it, and I'm sure my users would have felt the same way. But there is no denying that Infopop has impeccable customer service, willing to help you out day and night. That is a big plus if you ask me.

So far my opinion of vBulletin has been negative, with the people in charge of helping me out acting quite arrogant instead of helpful.

I can serve as a perfect example here. I have a UBB board that I would like to import and yet I have been unable to succeed in this. I have asked people on the board to help me out, but those attempts have been unsuccessful. To quote one "helpful" person here: we have better things to do than monotor all of UBB's changes. To me such an attempt at customer service is unacceptable. This is a blatant disregard of all customer relations and is pure arrogance to say the least.

Sadly my hopes are fading in the blank promises that have been made with regards to the import program. In fact arrogance crept in again, with one person in charge insinuating that we're not that important because only a small fraction of users were in fact moving over from UBB. Once again arrogance has crept in to customer relations.

All I can say is "get your act together guys." Thought honestly I believe that this message will be the cause of a backlash against me from the people in charge of customer relations...
  • nuno
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

hi
    are you trying to import from latest UBB?
    i think there's no import script yet, vB team is developing vB3.0, so, you just have to be patience
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Razgo
      • Mar 2002
      • 4.1.x

maybe there just needs to be an official response on which boards VB will make import scripts for? unfortunatly making import scripts is an enormous tasks.

If it were up to me(which it's not) I would set up a seperate hired service wherby a customer can pay for whatever board they are using to be imported over. as it is a job in itself and takes the VB development team away from the exising product. sure the VB product comes with some import scripts, but I would count that as a bonus rather than an expectation.

a clean install is always better anyway. all I did was link my old boards to the new one. keeping my old board as an archival reference. too easy and no import script needed

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Conrad,

I'm really sorry for the troubles and inconvenience this has caused. To be honest, the UBB 6.2x import script turned out to be much more difficult to code than anyone could have anticipated. Nonetheless I agree that we could have done a much better job of keeping people informed of the progress of this project.

I saw that John apologized for the delay and tried to explain what was happening. JamesUS has also offered to send anyone who asked the beta import script for testing. Have you asked him for a copy yet?

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...