Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrStool
    • Mar 2002

Hardware Requirements

I'm currently running Ikonboard 2.1.9, getting up to 500 or so posts per day, and around 15,000-20,000 page views. I tried another message board written in perl, based on a mySql backend. As soon as it started to get a little busy the server load went through the roof, and the server bogged down and locked up. I'm on a virtual private server, with about 50 other accounts. The host told me the board was using up so much of the server processes that I'd have to go to a dedicated server. So I went back to Ikonboard, which runs on a text database. Slow but no server overload.

Will Vbulletin run on a VPS without overloading it, given my current level of usage, or would it also require a dedicated server?.

The board is at the Stool Pigeons Wire

Testing image upload...
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

there are many vBulletin forums running on shared servers. depending on the host... i have seen vB forums with up to 80 users online at once running on shared servers.

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Re: Hardware Requirements

Originally posted by DrStool
      I'm currently running Ikonboard 2.1.9, getting up to 500 or so posts per day, and around 15,000-20,000 page views. I tried another message board written in perl, based on a mySql backend. As soon as it started to get a little busy the server load went through the roof, and the server bogged down and locked up. I'm on a virtual private server, with about 50 other accounts. The host told me the board was using up so much of the server processes that I'd have to go to a dedicated server. So I went back to Ikonboard, which runs on a text database. Slow but no server overload.

Will Vbulletin run on a VPS without overloading it, given my current level of usage, or would it also require a dedicated server?.

The board is at the Stool Pigeons Wire

Testing image upload...
      it all depends

1. on how many concurrent users you get
      2. the hardware your shared VPS server has
      3. how php/apache and mysql are installed/configured on your server

with most hosts mysql isn't configured optimally which renders even the most high end spec'd servers to poor vB performance

with most shared hosting due to them being shared between many site expect to only be able to handle 40 - 80 concurrent users constantly
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Jakeman
        there are many vBulletin forums running on shared servers. depending on the host... i have seen vB forums with up to 80 users online at once running on shared servers.
        ...although at that point your host would probably boot you off because you'd be taking up too many resources.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• DrStool
          • Mar 2002

That's about the traffic load I get during peak times, now, and my traffic is still growing. With the flat file board my server load is usually about .18. When I tried the other board with the mysql backend, the load spiked up to 9 to 11, and lockerd up the server down. I was told it was the perl processes. Is it safe to assume that won't happen with vBulletin?
          I'm running about 70 gigs of data transfer a month with the old board.

There are about 50 accounts on the physical server, but I am by far the biggest user. hardware specs are:

Intel Pentium III CPU
          512 MB 50 ns ECC Viking memory
          3 10,000 RPM Seagate HDDs:
          Dual 36 GB user volume with RAID 1 mirroring
          36 GB 24-hour user volume backup
          2 "Ultra SCSI 2" disk I/O channels

I have 400 megs of disk space and no bandwidth limitations.

Will I be ok with vBulletin at my current traffic level?

Thanks!

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

50 sites hmmmmm

what cpu speed does the server have ?

mysql does need more memory to perform well.. your web host might need at least 1 - 1.5 gb of ram considering 50 sites share the server

who's your web host ?
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• DrStool
              • Mar 2002

viaverio

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...