X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x.its.tongue.MOM
    • May 2017
    • 5.3.x

2 Forums working in conjunction with each other

HI< now before anyone jumps all over me, I AM LOOKING INTO getting a second forum to do just what i ask below.

I have been in touch with Paypal AND they say (via a conversation about API stuff, i don't yet understand) that it is possible to use them as a SIGN IN PORTAL. i.e. signing in through Paypal itself.

IF CORRECT~ MAN what a relief... for who be more secure than them for just such an odious *risky* task.

Anyway~ do any of you know about API and want to test it... I would love to hear.

NOW~ the real question~ CAN I & mY members sign into 1 forum AND from there sign into another? i.e. leaving no addresses to get in the 2nd ~~ The 1st TOTALLY PRIVATE ?
    THAT would for me be 1 forum to run just as a register and another to get down to *DIS-course*
    Click image for larger version

Name:	NO ! Blue with sun.png
Views:	321
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	4411208
    NOW~ I Come from a very specific point...... in *TOME*
    One that goes back to *before* Fishies.......Grew *Toes*

BUT~ NOT to point before Fishies, recognised *point* ~To Nose
    OR *MOM*~Shiver'd AT ALL> D'Stars wanting to *own* ~*HER HOME*
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

PayPal has their own API. You cannot use it to sign into a private forum because it has to share information to sign in. That's how APIs work.

How would your members sign into a second forum without a URL link to it in the first forum? You would have to go to unusual lengths to block any indexing of the second forum URLs at the server or htaccess level.

Forums do not share databases so none of the information from the first forum would be transferred to the second forum.

There would still be personal data retained by the second forum database so it seems like you'd be spending a lot of time and effort for nothing.

If you're that concerned about privacy the internet is a bad place to be. You can't safeguard user privacy more than billion dollar financial corporations or credit reporting agencies and they have data stolen all the time.

Whatever it is you're trying to do there is an easier way than creating two different forums and two different APIs.

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
      • May 2017
      • 5.3.x

Hi again,
      I wasn't thinking using PayPals API to sign into the Private forum That will be just a register.

It's the 2nd or rather the current one that has my concern ~ Given mY intent & as you say "it's bad place to be" I CAN with absolute confidence say there WILL BE subjects that WILL upset THAT APPLE CART.
      That I will allow only Mothers ( and at start at least ONLY PINK MOTHERS ) to have a say in that..... will be like a RED FLAG to BULLs .....who *HIT ~ A LOT. As you have been to no little effect... telling me.

Perhaps it might be better if i tell you my proposed plan of ATTACK... & YES I do see *IT* that way.

PayPal.me currently offer AND I will be installing a service whereby the donator can donate a sum £00.10 pence (which will accumulate for that suggested training I've mentioned elsewhere) for which both they Donator & I get a Transaction code (privately)- I also get an opportunity to thank them via email ~ to which I can append mY transaction REF; number...... and say use both to register.... thus knowing its them and at same time, should I be tracked forestall any attempt to captcher by then resetting with approval and via register forum..... which they will AND MUST join... the new and thus secure login info.

ALL of which of course will be seen by them before they consider registering in the 1st place.

I think I've just about covered all BUT~ forced hacks and mY Hosts security, which is pretty good.

I have a copy of the SeCURITY POST ( https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ms-more-secure ) made here AND will diligently follow it~ with all again on 2nd forum... fully transparent to all.
      Last edited by x.its.tongue.MOM; Tue 19 Mar '19, 8:05am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by x.its.tongue.MOM
        NOW~ the real question~ CAN I & mY members sign into 1 forum AND from there sign into another? i.e. leaving no addresses to get in the 2nd ~~ The 1st TOTALLY PRIVATE ?
        THAT would for me be 1 forum to run just as a register and another to get down to *DIS-course*
        You can run public and private areas in a single installation based on usergroup.

The ability to have a user register on one vBulletin forum and gain membership on a second would require custom programming.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 19 Mar '19, 9:50am.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
          x.its.tongue.MOM commented
          Editing a comment
          "" You can run public and private areas in a single installation based on usergroup.

The ability to have a user register on one vBulletin forum and gain membership on a second would require custom programming.""

AND~ how long and how much do you think that will cost ?
      • x.its.tongue.MOM
        • May 2017
        • 5.3.x

Hi Wayne,

AT LAST ! between you and Omnibus... there may be hope after all.

AND~ with a reproduction of Purpose WELL TO FORE of minds looking too..... AWESOME !

No truly Wayne it is indeed very seldom indeed~ to see VALUE UNDERSTOOD & ......not just cost.

SO~ *with* value in mind... I know you know that in the whole of the UK there are currently over 700 voting constituencies AND SUSPECT *U* know now too that I'm mad enough to think in those terms...... AND..... Possibly achieve.... such vaunted nonsense.

To that end... *i* aim :
        NOW to me the issues around vb are to be quite frank frightening. AT the scale I'm talking THE ISSUE *will* be... stability of version and the constant updating is of some concern, I'll understand the security issue needs constant attention AND that the mobile situation is and will probably for the foreseeable future be 1 too needing constant attention.

BUT those 2 things not withstanding.... the rest.. needs some illumination cast upon it.

AND specifically RIGHT HERE... for to achieve that MAD ambition..... I *will* need to have this post seen and available to those that will in effect be GETTING MAD *with* me.

SO~ using your undoubted ability to read between the lines... please explore HERE!

Click image for larger version  Name:	bottonleft GOD lick-min.png Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	4411236 ...... thanking you in advance. AND hoping I've not upset anyone in the process?
        Last edited by x.its.tongue.MOM; Tue 19 Mar '19, 10:00am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

With a properly configured server, vBulletin is very stable. The updates we release are part of the stability. Having a release roughly every 2 months allows us to react to changing laws, third-party platforms and server software updates in a responsive manner. In addition to this, we've made vBulletin very customizable but in ways so that updates have very little impact on your customization. These features include things like template inheritance, template hooks, API extensions, custom CSS hooks, custom JavaScript hooks, Site Builder and many others. It hasn't always been like this but this stabilization is a big focus of what we have worked on over the past couple of years. This kind of effort is needed for vBulletin Cloud to be a stable platform but the download customers benefit as well since they are using the same code. These changes have allowed us to take the upgrade of an average vBulletin Cloud site from 30 minutes to roughly 5 minutes in that time period. All while maintaining their customization and resulting in less downtime for them.

For a download customer with knowledge of their server and systems, the upgrade process can be short as well. 15 to 30 minutes in most cases. Though there are alternatives available for them. They can purchase the Professional Installation service or even migrate their sites to vBulletin Cloud. For a customer who might purchase a professional installation two or three times a year, migrating to Cloud would save them $298 to $447 a year.

As for operating your site and earning money from Paypal, that isn't really something I can direct you on. We do have the Managing Your Community forum here for customers to discuss things with other customers.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
            Editing a comment
            """ For a download customer with knowledge of their server and systems, the upgrade process can be short as well. 15 to 30 minutes in most cases. Though there are alternatives available for them. They can purchase the Professional Installation service or even migrate their sites to vBulletin Cloud. For a customer who might purchase a professional installation two or three times a year, migrating to Cloud would save them $298 to $447 a year. """

SO~ A proper trained *in House* member would be saving THE FORUM... £300 upwards.. every year. NICE~ to know, I'll point it out to them THANKS.
        • x.its.tongue.MOM
          • May 2017
          • 5.3.x

Hmmm, VERY INformative as usual... nice to see.

I'm talking to Glenn about paypal right now~ he has a mod for it i think and will if so, being installing it.

I have sent you a link to my current version of my forum~ again please don't pass it on just yet BUT~ when you take a look at it~ do so with it being on the cloud as IT currently is AND tell me one way or the other please.

Another Issue is see, i think, that needs to have a look at by your selves.
          Namely;

I do post and will in all probability post images again. BUT~ whilst it seems that Joe has some sense of the value of Colour THE forum does not. FOR~ to most the visit is likely to be short and so they don't bother to pick an alternative style but that that is there already~~ so if posting an image with white writing upon it... it is nigh on impossible to see.
          Could you / the forum not do as glenn does, tone it down with light blue body? It would sure help... those like me.

I also see that you have made a fool of me by removing the QUOTE *with* Image.... I 1st posted ? Or was that a mistake on my part... seeing your post that way, that is?
          Last edited by x.its.tongue.MOM; Thu 21 Mar '19, 6:39am.

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
            Editing a comment
            OH~ and by the by, thank you for making mY login an automatic DARK style. I asked some time ago but forgot to thank you then. Now do.
        • x.its.tongue.MOM
          • May 2017
          • 5.3.x

HELLO vb SUPPORT *and* all others, including the *silent* support staff *and* those yet to offer *their* support TOO.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	vB support sticky.png Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	4411408
          NOW~ the support staff *will* no doubt take a look see~ to see if I'm as good as my word.... just as *all* should do.

SO~ in the above image~ they *will* see that I HAVE NOT run the above image through any sort of Image compressor.

HERE *is* Why~ Sometimes in the heat of the moment I forget to do so... this will stop BUT~ It will also happen to others....
          AND SO~ below this image *is* an online image compressor FOR FREE.

BUT~ there is a second reason~ to do with permissions AND how to set them, as Glenn has done to me on his forum, AND~ how then to increase AND or resize / delete the images already uploaded.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 11.19.32.png Views:	0 Size:	402.3 KB ID:	4411409

NOTE PLEASE THE DIFFERENCE in FILE SIZE... SO PLEASE .... It *IS* FREE.... use it!
          Last edited by x.its.tongue.MOM; Fri 22 Mar '19, 3:59am.

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
            • May 2017
            • 5.3.x

SO~ as I've indicated above this is my and this *stickies?* intent;

the option to quote others posts DOES exist already HOWEVER no clear is IF one can transfer quotes for 1 thread to another. IF so please here say so.

I however not knowing that have used another option ~ screen capture as you will see below with the post by Glenn.

i have done so for 2 reasons, 1st~ it shows my Stickies intent.... snip its of info...BUT~ very VERY useful info..... that is the sort of thing i mean this *sticky* to show and follow. IT IS NOT intended to be used as a general discussion platform OR to query support for support.

Name:	header-two-min.png
Views:	322
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4411415

Name:	LOG in square-min.png
Views:	307
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	4411416
            AS SO !

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 18.52.01.png
Views:	267
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	4411417

NOW SUPPORT THAT SHOULD BE THAT... as far as my uploading images to your platform goes.

Sorry for the number AND sizes... BUT~ I T*ink... necessary to make POINT !

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
              • May 2017
              • 5.3.x

Originally posted by x.its.tongue.MOM
              Hi again,
              I wasn't thinking using PayPals API to sign into the Private forum That will be just a register.

It's the 2nd or rather the current one that has my concern ~ Given mY intent & as you say "it's bad place to be" I CAN with absolute confidence say there WILL BE subjects that WILL upset THAT APPLE CART.
              That I will allow only Mothers ( and at start at least ONLY PINK MOTHERS ) to have a say in that..... will be like a RED FLAG to BULLs .....who *HIT ~ A LOT. As you have been to no little effect... telling me.

Perhaps it might be better if i tell you my proposed plan of ATTACK... & YES I do see *IT* that way.

PayPal.me currently offer AND I will be installing a service whereby the donator can donate a sum £00.10 pence (which will accumulate for that suggested training I've mentioned elsewhere) for which both they Donator & I get a Transaction code (privately)- I also get an opportunity to thank them via email ~ to which I can append mY transaction REF; number...... and say use both to register.... thus knowing its them and at same time, should I be tracked forestall any attempt to captcher by then resetting with approval and via register forum..... which they will AND MUST join... the new and thus secure login info.

ALL of which of course will be seen by them before they consider registering in the 1st place.

I think I've just about covered all BUT~ forced hacks and mY Hosts security, which is pretty good.

I have a copy of the SeCURITY POST ( https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...ms-more-secure ) made here AND will diligently follow it~ with all again on 2nd forum... fully transparent to all.
              HI Wayne,

Custom programming ? it's always looked like that FOR mE at least, was going to be a necessity~ so what sort of price would such be?

ALSO~ could you here too~ resolve the *qoute*... from and to different threads question above?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

The price would depend on the developer you hire. Freelance PHP programming goes for $30-$150 hour depending on the experience of the individual. The median is betwen $60-$80 per hour. Custom Programming is not a service that vBulletin currently offers.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
                  Editing a comment
                  As a matter of interest Wayne~ how long do you think a $150/hour PHP programmer would take to do so, - Tie 2 forums via 1 log in, that is?
              • x.its.tongue.MOM
                • May 2017
                • 5.3.x

SO~ i guess it's benefit of doubt.

Thank you for that.
                AS for any other viewer looking here~ that doubt *will* I think depend to a large extent upon you POSTING snip-its you think a new Forum Owner could, if not should be made aware of.

I hope you do !

AS for me, I am going to let it ride for another 24 hours..... I KNOW I HAVE asked for much, A sticky *IS* one of the most important aspects of any forum, and should *never* be taken lightly.

The 2nd reason for doing so *is* that i have been in the dog house here before for bumping my posts... and.... DONE~ from staff *will* mean, I my posting to this thread *WILL-NOT* be a bump but me attempting to honour my words. THEM & YOU TOO.

SORRY just found something that will make both a point AND change my offer to design below~ i.e. i don't need or want a mobile suite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 13.28.50.png Views:	1 Size:	454.6 KB ID:	4411505
                Last edited by x.its.tongue.MOM; Sat 23 Mar '19, 5:32am.

Comment

• x.its.tongue.MOM
                • May 2017
                • 5.3.x

WELL Support- 48 hours & still up, thanks for that.

However, no likes, no posts either........SO~ perhaps better in chit chat?

Still able to ref it on my forum AND-*i* will still add snip its, as and when. as long as you don't castrate me with Bump notices.

SAD- but thanks anyway.
                Regards
                LLOYD
                a.k.a x.its.tongue.MOM

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...