Sort threads by creation date in vBulletin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaistlinMajere
    • Nov 2018
    • 4.0.x

Sort threads by creation date in vBulletin?

Up front: Please don't recommend any mods for this!

Does vBulletin natively, without any mods, support sorting threads by creation date? I've seen a lot of implementations of the board that do not support it. One of quite a few existing vBulletin sites I've been using is AVSForum where audio/video equipment is discussed. It's an old site and its forums are absolutely littered with posts from people who insist that their outdated equipment still needs to be discussed on a regular basis. Makes it very hard to find information on new stuff. Can't have a site like that. It's a very basic, required feature to support by creation date. Is there any reason that it's been decades and there doesn't appear to be official support for this feature? Basic features should never require a mod - mods have separate support and are likely to cause issues that official support would not. There is forum software that can do this without a mod. Will vBulletin ever be able to do this? As implementations of vBulletin age, there will be a lot more old threads and it will get harder to find newer threads. For a new forum this is very much a forward-looking requirement (since it will take a while for any forum to become cluttered with old threads) but I think it's still an important consideration. I think it is not even a consideration to create forums where information will become hard to find. Though I think it is also worth at least asking about, because maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation somehow.

To me, requiring to use a mod for this is like buying a new car and having to modify it to have directionals.

Thank you
    Last edited by RaistlinMajere; Thu 1 Nov '18, 10:12am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Sorting by the Topic Creation date is one of the default sorting options going back to vBulletin 2. You can even try it out on this forum by clicking on "Filter" and setting the sort by to "Date - Started Post."

AVS forum uses an older version but they may allow you to change the Sort in your user settings.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RaistlinMajere
      • Nov 2018
      • 4.0.x

Thanks for the serious answer to such a stupid question. I appreciate it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...