Some questions about vbulletin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about vbulletin

I have not bought it yet but I wonder one thing, why is it not possible to see which themes and plugins are there? Do I have to buy first to see?

Can you use older version of vbulletin? This one looks so sad.

You can view the available themes on this site, the dropdown selector is in the bottom left corner.

When you purchase a license you can choose to run vB4 or vB3 if you prefer, but only one copy of the software per license, regardless of version.

It is however important to note that no further development work will take place on either vB3 or vB4 as they are now end of life. While we will still support them to the best level we can, no changes will ever be made to them. For example, you can't run vB3 or vB4 on the latest version of php (7.2). 7.1 is the highest.

All development work is now on vB5 and this is compatible with latest versions of php.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      You can view the available themes on this site, the dropdown selector is in the bottom left corner.

When you purchase a license you can choose to run vB4 or vB3 if you prefer, but only one copy of the software per license, regardless of version.

It is however important to note that no further development work will take place on either vB3 or vB4 as they are now end of life. While we will still support them to the best level we can, no changes will ever be made to them. For example, you can't run vB3 or vB4 on the latest version of php (7.2). 7.1 is the highest.

All development work is now on vB5 and this is compatible with latest versions of php.

That was unfortunate. This looks so sad. In fact, I feel at the hospital or dentist. But then I do. Thanks.

Comment

The Gradient theme may be more to you're liking. We ship the software with over a dozen styles.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

It takes very little time and effort to create a custom style with vBulletin 5. It's far easier than it is in vB4.x or vB3.x versions.

Comment

I agree, and the ease of designing, you can do a lot along with additional css is a plus.

Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              The Gradient theme may be more to you're liking. We ship the software with over a dozen styles.
              What styles then, how do I see what styles are included?

Comment

Multi quote, like, is there something like I do not see?

I'm not the one who likes to complain, but do not you think the mood has gone down? Why should you choose vbulletin before xenforno which is a few decades before? Their style is not even close by. Look at the vbulletin itself how it has been developed. Terribly. Why I say all this is that the developer may have to get involved and listen to others instead believe he knows best

Comment

Originally posted by w12345 View Post
                  Multi quote, like, is there something like I do not see?

I'm not the one who likes to complain, but do not you think the mood has gone down? Why should you choose vbulletin before xenforno which is a few decades before? Their style is not even close by. Look at the vbulletin itself how it has been developed. Terribly. Why I say all this is that the developer may have to get involved and listen to others instead believe he knows best
                  Because XenForo is just a poor man's vBulletin 4. I don't want to rain on your parade but your style is about the last thing you should be concerned with when deciding to build a forum. It won't keep anyone coming back. Only quality content does that.

Comment

They are all selectable using the dropdown on this site, bottom left of the page.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	styles.png
Views:	1
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	4400387

As seen here.
                      Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

Because XenForo is just a poor man's vBulletin 4. I don't want to rain on your parade but your style is about the last thing you should be concerned with when deciding to build a forum. It won't keep anyone coming back. Only quality content does that.
                        That's highly debatable. In fact, Xenforo is created and being worked on by some of the VB 3 developers, with VB 3 being considered the most popular version. However because of legal issues brought on by IB, development was put on hold for a few years. Thus causing them to fall behind on its development, putting them about 2 years behind.

That being said interest in VBulletin has cooled tremendously. VB.org reflects that. They still use the old VB software with no obvious intent to upgrade to VB 5 which is rather telling. And the sheer number of people developing mods for VB 5 is pathetic with many abandoning VB 5 mod development and VB development in general. 93 VB 5 mods vs 1,968 mods for VB 4 after how many years? It's sad.

Some may argue it's because of how feature rich VB 5 is. But thats not really true at all as there is A LOT of room for improvement and flexibility of the VB 5 platform.

https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/XenForo

https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/vBulletin

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com

Those stats give a general reflection. Many forums I visit that use VB are still using VB 3 or VB 4 and refuse to upgrade to VB 5 because it's not perceived well.

It's sad really. Vbulletin used to be the defacto forum software. It no longer is because of the decisions made by those higher up in the IB food chain. The fact VB5 hasn't even put VB 6 on the drawing board (their words very recently) indicates that the forum software really has no upward trajectory.

The fact is, at this point VBulletin sadly is no longer as relevant as it was once was. It's glory days are over.

No proper importer. A poor upgrade system from VB 4 to VB 5. And software that isn't looked at too fondly. VB 6 could maybe have rectified some of that but with it not even on the radar I guess it's just back to more of the same old same old that many don't want.

This isn't to be a diss on VB. But a reminder that regardless of what one may think of Xenforo or other forum software, they in general are doing better and are in a better position for future development and growth than VB is. Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

They are all selectable using the dropdown on this site, bottom left of the page.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/arti.../styles-themes ?

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

So it may be. How to quote this multi?

Comment

You can see them here: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/themes/

You can also select each style in the footer of this forum and view it in more indepth.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment