X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SwissGuy
    • Jun 2004

Installation / Upgrade service

I am considering upgrading our 4.2.5 forum to 5.x.x
    Until now, I have run all updates and upgrades to our forum (back to 3.x.x) but now lack the time and resources to upgrade again. Before purchasing, though, I need to know if our host's configuration is adequate and would appreciate an input on this.

4.2.5 is currently showing the configuration as shown in the image. Is this adequate? Is more information needed to decide (if so, please define what)?

Thanks in advance for the help in this.

P.S. I have a second 4.2.5 forum on a different hosting platform that I will likely also upgrade .... maybe not at the same time, though
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

PHP 7.1.x or higher and MariaDB Version: 10+ are recommended but your current specs should be enough for the current VB 5.4.2 version. What that screen does not show is if URL Rewriting via .htaccess files is enabled for your site. That is a requirement for VB 5.x on Apache. You may need to ask your host this if you are not sure.

Also, and this is more personal opinion than hard fact, I think you'd be better off with a 256 MB memory limit in PHP but that can likely be set either via .htaccess file or adding a line to the /core/includes/config.php file.

To be sure you can download the test script from here: https://www.vbulletin.com/download.php it will test everything but the URL rewrites.

Comment

• SwissGuy
      • Jun 2004

Thanks for that information, Joe. I ran the script and it complains (fails) about the MySQL version saying that 5.5.8 is the minimum requirement. I guess I'll need to check with the hosting company about upgrading this?

BTW - rewriting URL via .htaccess is allowed on Apache. I can also upgrade to PHP 7.1.x easily. So I guess it's all about the MySQL / MariaDB version.

Comment

• SwissGuy
        • Jun 2004

Moved to a new host with the newest MySQL and PHP. I decided to try and upgrade myself (on a copy of the current installation). We do have a couple of technical issues (being addressed in another thread). What surprised me was that the size of the database more than doubled. The new hosting company is already complaining that we exceed our (shared) hosting limit.

Now considering moving to vbCloud instead. I have a couple of questions:
        - Can the existing 4.2.5 installation be imported into the the cloud version? If so, how does this work and what would that cost?
        - What is the limit on database size in the bronze package?
        - Is a separate hosting required for the rest of our site (just a couple of small html pages)?
        - If we maintain the domain on its existing host, what happens to the forum if that is on vbcloud? In other words, we have a site at www.DOMAIN.com and the forum at www.DOMAIN.com/forum. How would this work in such a case?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Yes 4.2.5 can be imported into Cloud. You would need to provide us with a full database backup file, a zip file of your attachments from the file system and a zip file of your custom avatars. (A zip file of custom smilies is optional though only smilies in your main smilie directory will convert to VB5) we then run the import for you. There is no additional cost but it does require pre-paying for vBCloud for a minimum commitment, I believe it is 6 months.

vBCloud storage is 100GB total, database + file attachments. How large is your database that your host is complaining? Some hosts have very small limits not truly fit for forum hosting. This is the same for all plans.

You would need hosting to host your own .html pages or you could convert your existing custom pages to VB5 powered custom pages as VB5 allows you to create new pages and you can use the Static HTML content module to display any HTML you wanted but it would all be inside a basic VB5 page layout.

vBCloud can only be accessed via a CNAME (sub-domain) address like www.DOMAIN.com or forum.DOMAIN.com you cannot use DOMAIN.com (without a sub-domain) or www.DOMAIN.com/forum (a directory besides the root directory)

If your current site is in the /forum/ directory there will be no means in vBCloud to redirect users to the new URLs. You might be able to figure something out if you keep your hosting plane with a custom URL Rewrite rule to forward from the old URL to the new URL but it would be outside the scope of vBCloud support.

Comment

• SwissGuy
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Joe D.
            How large is your database that your host is complaining? Some hosts have very small limits not truly fit for forum hosting.
            vb4 was 550MB, vb5 is 1200MB. The plan is limited to 750MB (on a host that was recommended for forum hosting

Originally posted by Joe D.
            vBCloud can only be accessed via a CNAME (sub-domain) address like www.DOMAIN.com or forum.DOMAIN.com you cannot use DOMAIN.com (without a sub-domain) or www.DOMAIN.com/forum (a directory besides the root directory)

If your current site is in the /forum/ directory there will be no means in vBCloud to redirect users to the new URLs. You might be able to figure something out if you keep your hosting plane with a custom URL Rewrite rule to forward from the old URL to the new URL but it would be outside the scope of vBCloud support.
            So, if I understand correctly, we could implement a redirect on our current host from www.DOMAIN.com/forum to forum.DOMAIN.com and that could/would resolve to vbCloud?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by SwissGuy
              vb4 was 550MB, vb5 is 1200MB. The plan is limited to 750MB (on a host that was recommended for forum hosting
              I wouldn't have recommended a host with a 750MB database limit, certainly not for VB5. Long term you should look to get to a new host (or Cloud.)

So, if I understand correctly, we could implement a redirect on our current host from www.DOMAIN.com/forum to forum.DOMAIN.com and that could/would resolve to vbCloud?
              In theory you could crease an .htaccess file in the /forum/ directory should be able to redirect to forum.domain.com and then you create a CNAME record for forum.domain.com to be your vBCloud forum.

Creation of the .htaccess file is technically outside the scope of support but there are tons of examples online. Such as: https://beginnersbook.com/2013/08/re...sing-htaccess/

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

The negative however is will will need to maintain a web hosting package in order to have and create the .htaccess rule. If you were going to maintain web hosting on the main domain (www) anyway that's no big deal but if your site was only going to be vBulletin powered it is less than ideal due to the extra expense but no way around it.

Comment