Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arion
    • Mar 2002

Why vB

Taking this, and the fact that there are numerous free BBS Systems, available, can someone tell me why I should pay for vBulletin?
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

1. Real support and direct communication with the developers
    2. An obscene number of features (try out the admin demo here)
    3. Fast, especially compared to UBB with high loads
    4. Just check out the features list here

Remember, one person's bad experience could always be just their particular usage of it and other factors. I've done quite a few vB installs and I admin three vB installations and they all work great.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

I can share you my experience with freeboards and vbulletin which I recently purchased myself.

Last year I was trying to understand forums, and I installed several freeboards. Eventually I even try to write my own. Every board was lacking features, and the features that were installed, were either beta, or unsupported. Full of bugs and causing corruption in the database. Also, the security was failing on several ways at times.

With a purchased license, like vBulletin has, you get lifetime support, normal awnsers from the moderators. You get working features, quality updates, and stuff like that. If there is a security bug discovered, they take only several hours to days to release a fix. .. name it.

I found in vBulletin what all the other boards were lacking. And even more! After I purchased it I found out all the hidden little tweaks and the way the source code was written. The flexibility and how smooth it runs. It also saved me a lot of bandw. compared to OpenBB en tForum and such. (and less serverloads).

Anyway,
      I also believe it all comes down to personal taste too.
      We can't inform you how 'cool' or 'lame' a product is.

You can test yourself. You can download the vB lite version, so you can see if it will install on your system. (This is made for just that, but doesn't have all the features) And you can try the on-line demo to have a feel about the back-end and the many options, choices, features it has. And ofcourse, you can browse around this support forum (well, the boards you have access too) because what you see here, is what you get after installation. (but without the users ) And when you browse around several vB-installed web sites you can see how you can 'alter' it to your liking.

Hope this info helps you make a choice

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

About the lite version: it never installed correctly on my system, but vB full did, so it may not be an accurate test of whether vB will run on your server.

Comment

• BillaBongUSA
          • Mar 2002

To put it quite simply, vBulletin = teh 1337.
          http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Also, like xiphoid, I've never had a free BBS install correctly that had anywhere near the same number of features. IIRC, phpBB might have, but it was pretty weak. I haven't tried UBB simply because it is flat file evilness, and there is no lite or free version. And ezboard just sucked.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

I would like to point out that the problem stated in the thread you linked to was partly the fault of the end-user and partly our fault for not making our policies clearer. The issue listed there was resolved. Not sure if he ever posted that it was resolved to his satisfaction or not but it was.

As to why vBulletin? I have to ask why not... if you have to convince yourself that it is worth its price, then nothing we can say can change whatever decision you make. Install what ever script you choose. If it isn't vBulletin, then we'll help you convert to vBulletin in the future when you need to.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Arion
                • Mar 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
                1. Real support and direct communication with the developers
                2. An obscene number of features (try out the admin demo here)
                3. Fast, especially compared to UBB with high loads
                4. Just check out the features list here

Remember, one person's bad experience could always be just their particular usage of it and other factors. I've done quite a few vB installs and I admin three vB installations and they all work great.
                Sounds a bit like phpBB2.

It looks to me like the only good thing about vBulletin that no other boards has is the Sub-Forums, feature.

A lot of people have suggested the amount of features: Personally I go for Quality before quantity. so can someone please tell me the features that vB has that other *free* boards(such as phpBB or XMB) don't

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Have you toured the admin CP demo? http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Arion

Sounds a bit like phpBB2.

It looks to me like the only good thing about vBulletin that no other boards has is the Sub-Forums, feature.

A lot of people have suggested the amount of features: Personally I go for Quality before quantity. so can someone please tell me the features that vB has that other *free* boards(such as phpBB or XMB) don't
                    Surely by 'quality', it's not so much quality of features but quality of the underlying code. vBulletin has the years of development that the other boards do not have. vB's code has reached maturity and is ultra-efficient compared to other forums. The other forums are all much newer and as such have untested and unproven code.

Also with a free board you have no guarantee that the developers will still be working on the product in 6 months time (just look at what recently happened to Ikonboard where all the developers and support staff left). vBulletin has the corporate backing which will guarantee that if you have problems with your vB board in a year from now we will be here to offer you all the support we can. No free board can give you that promise.

Comment

• nuno
                      • Apr 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Disney Discussion Forums and Message Boards - DISboards is the ultimate Disney planning community and resource for Disney World, Disney Cruise Line and Disney Vacations, including news, rumors, park hours, theme park descriptions and strategies.

HardOCP Community Forum for PC Hardware Enthusiasts

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

five good reasons why you should go with vBulletin, look closely for online records.
                      find me at least one *free* message board that equals those 5.
                      i wish you good luck
                      You're my Prince of Peace
                      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• jmd
                        • Jan 2002

VBullatin is the best. One hell of a control panel. Easy to customize, great tech support, very nice people that are willing to help you when you need it.

You will eventually buy vB it's just a matter of time, why not now.

Hay can I get a sales job at vB???? LOL I'm not greedy 100,000 a year and company vet, plus a nice chunky expense account. What do ya say???

PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jmd
                          Hay can I get a sales job at vB???? LOL I'm not greedy 100,000 a year and company vet, plus a nice chunky expense account. What do ya say???

Sounds pretty greedy to me... And why do you need a vet? Your gerbil sick?
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jmd
                            • Jan 2002

lol @ wluke

Nothing wrong with greed..greed is good,,greed is healthy.

And the gerbil is fine thanks lol
                            PLEASE VISIT US HERE. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Comment

• John Mac
                              • Mar 2002

I only have used a couple of the different forums.

I used Infopop and have used Vb.

People who are using VB are finding it easier and quicker.

As for the free-forums, I think it will depend on how much traffic you are looking at. I think the most people who convert from free-forums is because either the board can not handle the amount of traffic, or because of a support issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...