X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peegoo
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

VBulletin Mobile Suite Details

Hello All. In the near future I plan on purchasing vBulletin...and thought why not save $50...and get the vBulletin + Mobile Suite bundle. One question. Can someone please explain what exactly do we get with the Mobile Suite?

When I first saw the Mobile Suite I thought "Great I can use this". I figured I would be getting a full-fledged ready to go vBulletin mobile app...that would simply need some setup & tweaking prior to it's use on my website...then post it my website to be downloaded by interested members. I figured the vBulletin mobility app would have some similarities to "Tapatalk"...but would be much more refined...much more compatible...and much more integrated than Tapatalk.

Tapatalk is free...so I figured paying $150-$199 for the vBulletin Mobile Suite would be worth it for these better features (compared to Tapatalk).

But then (from what I think I'm discovering)...the vBulletin Mobile Suite is not this at all. I'm reading that I basically have to go thru the whole app development & submission process for the Apple App Store & Android process. This is not the ready to go mobile app I was hoping for...plus having to do all the steps (and costs) to get the app listed on the Apple app store.

Maybe I'm confused...partially correct...or partially incorrect. Can someone please let me know what:

- Exactly do we get with the vBulletin Mobile Suite?
    - How much actual developement of the app is necessary. so it can be used with a vBulletin based website? Or another way to put it...how much up front work needs to be done to the vBulletin mobile app before it can be submitted to the Apple App Store (and Android store)?
    - Does the full Apple app store process (and Android) + costs need to be followed...or can the final app be distributed in a different way?

Thanks very very much for all info.

p.s. I apologize if this has already been covered a 1000 times. If there's a great thread on this already...or a Sticky somewhere...please point me to it.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peegoo
    - Exactly do we get with the vBulletin Mobile Suite?
    Fully compiled apps for your site using your colors, logo and other details. It will be compiled specifically for your site.

- How much actual developement of the app is necessary. so it can be used with a vBulletin based website? Or another way to put it...how much up front work needs to be done to the vBulletin mobile app before it can be submitted to the Apple App Store (and Android store)?
    You don't do any development. Any customizations are done through a tool we call the Mobile Publisher. It allows you to upload icons, logos, change the colors, etc... You get a fully compiled app that gets resigned to your developer account and uploaded to the respective app store. The requirement that you submit the apps to Google and Apple are their requirements. Originally, we were going to do this for you but it is against their terms of service.

- Does the full Apple app store process (and Android) + costs need to be followed...or can the final app be distributed in a different way?
    You can attempt to distribute them through alternative means. We cannot provide any guidance on this. This will be easier for the Android App than it is for the iOS App.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
      • Jun 2018
      • 4.2.x

Hello Wayne Luke...thanks for your reply.

Just so I understand 100%. You mentioned that the vBulletin Mobile Suite comes with a fully compiled app. Does this mean a fully operational app...that all that needs to be done is customize it to have the look & feel of the our website...and also input the proper IP address info so it will properly point to the website it's being customized for?

Of course the Apple App Store process is what it is...and must be followed to make Apple happy. But as long as the Apple App Store process is followed...is there any reason the customized app would have any difficulty being accepted by Apple?

Finally. You mentioned I/we get "Fully compiled apps for your site using your colors, logo and other details. It will be compiled specifically for your site." Is this compiling done by the "Mobile Publisher" tool?

Thanks very much.

Comment

• peegoo
        • Jun 2018
        • 4.2.x

Looks like my last post needs to be approved.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by peegoo
          Hello Wayne Luke...thanks for your reply.

Just so I understand 100%. You mentioned that the vBulletin Mobile Suite comes with a fully compiled app. Does this mean a fully operational app...that all that needs to be done is customize it to have the look & feel of the our website...and also input the proper IP address info so it will properly point to the website it's being customized for?
          It is a fully customized and compiled app when you download it. You will provide the customization before the app is built.

Of course the Apple App Store process is what it is...and must be followed to make Apple happy. But as long as the Apple App Store process is followed...is there any reason the customized app would have any difficulty being accepted by Apple?
          Depends on Apple's policies on the time of submission. They change frequently and we are not always notified of these changes. We work to reduce any issues caused by this.

Finally. You mentioned I/we get "Fully compiled apps for your site using your colors, logo and other details. It will be compiled specifically for your site." Is this compiling done by the "Mobile Publisher" tool?
          Yes. The Mobile Publisher gathers your information and builds the apps for you.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
            • Jun 2018
            • 4.2.x

Thanks again for the info. Three more quick questions:

1. Once I provide the website customization...the Mobile Publisher tool will then magically compile the mobile app for my website for me?

2. Is this newly created vBulletin mobile app then ready for submission to the Apple App store (assuming all Apple requirements are met)?

3. Website is currently running vBulletin 4.2.5. What are the main differences (feature differences) I will see between the vBulletin mobile app for vBulletin 4 vs. vBulletin 5?

Thanks
            Last edited by peegoo; Mon 18 Jun '18, 3:09pm. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

1. You'll enter the customization you want into the Mobile Publisher. It has tools for changing colors, uploading images, etc...

2. Once resigned with your developer ID, it is ready for submission.

3. When using the Mobile Apps with vBulletin 5, it allows push notifications, events, moderation, and banning users. These features aren't available in vBulletin 4. As time goes on, more features will only be available under vBulletin 5. The reason being is that vBulletin 5 was built on an API that is extendible. The API with vBulletin 4 is an addon that was created after the fact. vBulletin 4 is also end of life and will not receive any further development.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
                • Jun 2018
                • 4.2.x

Thanks again for the help.

Comment