Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lottidah
    • Dec 2004

PHP version?

Good morning. My forum currently has version 3.8.8 of vBulletin. My web host tells me that we are using PHP 5.4.35. Do I need to update my version of PHP in order to upgrade my forum to vB 5? If so, to which version? And will is my existing version of vB compatible with the required version of PHP?

Are there any other specs I should be aware of before upgrading my forum?

Edit: I see the sticky thread that addresses the technical specs so I guess my only question remains: Which version of PHP can I upgrade to that will still work with my existing forum? I assume I would need to do the PHP upgrade then perform the vB upgrade so I would have to keep PHP at a version that 3.8.8 would still work with. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by lottidah; Wed 23 May '18, 6:12am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

PHP 5.4.35 is end of life and no longer supported by The PHP Group. It should be considered insecure at this point in time. There is no version of PHP that we support that will work with vBulletin 3.8.8. The minimum is PHP 5.6.0 for vBulletin 3.8.11. For vBulletin 5.X, we recommend using PHP 7.2. Currently support for PHP 5.6 is deprecated and will end on December 31, 2018.

You should be able to upgrade from vBulletin 3.8.8 to 5.4.1 directly if you have a proper version of PHP.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lottidah
      • Dec 2004

Thank you but I'm not sure I follow you. Do I upgrade my version of PHP (to either 5.6 or 7.2) before attempting the vBulletin upgrade to 5.4.1? Or after? Thank you!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You will need to upgrade your PHP before vBulletin's upgrade system will work.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

After upgrading to PHP 7.2 your VB 3.8.8 forum will stop working so close the forum and make a database backup BEFORE upgrading PHP.

Once you upgrade PHP you then upgrade tp VB 5.4.x.

Important to note VB 5.4.x needs to be install into a mostly clean directory. It's not like VB 3.x versions where you can just upload the old files over the new files.

Comment

• lottidah
            • Dec 2004

Thank you. I was considering updating PHP to 5.6, then doing the vB upgrade, then upgrading PHP to 7.2.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

You're welcome. Be aware VB 3.8.8 is not designed to work with anything beyond PHP 5.4.x so you may not be able to access it under PHP 5.6.x.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...