Can I upgrade from vBulletin 4.2.2 Patch Level 4 to vBulletin v5 Connect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinopht
    • May 2018
    • 4.2.x

Can I upgrade from vBulletin 4.2.2 Patch Level 4 to vBulletin v5 Connect?

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have a forums running 4.2.2 Patch Level 4.

We would like to upgrade to vBulletin v5 Connect.

We have lost the log in information required for the upgrade so we are thinking of purchasing a new version of vBulletin v5 Connect.

Is it possible to upgrade from vBulletin 4.2.2 Patch Level 4 to vBulletin v5 Connect with a new version?

Will we be able to retain the style template and posts from the current forums?

Thank you
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Yes. You can do a direct upgrade and all your current data except calendar events will be migrated. vBulletin 4 styles are not compatible with vBulletin 5. vBulletin 5 uses a different variable system in an attempt to make things more secure. You would have to recreate your style.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

One very important thing you need to check before upgrading from VB 4.x to VB 5.x is to make your default database collation matches what you had used for VB 4.x. I have found for many people, especially English language forums when VB 4.x may have been installed years ago the database default was latin1_swedish_ci but more modern servers may be set to utf8_gengeral_ci or something else.

In phpmyadmin or another mysql tool check the collation of the post and thread tables in VB4 and make sure the database default is set to the same before upgrading otherwise you will wind up with lots of errors.

Comment

• dinopht
        • May 2018
        • 4.2.x

Thank you Wayne and Joe for the information.

Comment

• YK0302
          • Mar 2011
          • 4.2.x

Thanks Joe and Wayne, What is the strategy for upgrading calendar, we have hundreds of calendar entries needed for historical audit purposes?

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by YK0302
            Thanks Joe and Wayne, What is the strategy for upgrading calendar, we have hundreds of calendar entries needed for historical audit purposes?
            vB4 calendar entries are not imported into vB5's calendar. There is no way round this.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by YK0302
              Unfortunately we can't offer any such solution. However if you keep a backup of the database tables dealing with VB4 calendar events before upgrading you may be able to find someone or some 3rd party service who can do the conversion for you or perhaps create some kind of add-on to at least present the content in some useful format to your users even if it is as a "read only" option.

Comment

• YK0302
                • Mar 2011
                • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Joe D.

Unfortunately we can't offer any such solution. However if you keep a backup of the database tables dealing with VB4 calendar events before upgrading you may be able to find someone or some 3rd party service who can do the conversion for you or perhaps create some kind of add-on to at least present the content in some useful format to your users even if it is as a "read only" option.
                Thanks Joe and Mark, This could be a show stopper for us. I'll look at the display only option. We use reoccurring events a lot. I can't see any provision for reoccurring events either, are they supported?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Recurring events are not supported by the vBulletin 5 data model.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment