Is it time to update to VB5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to update to VB5

We've had a VB4 Publishing Suite ticking over for some years and our key audience has moved to mobile devices so we need to think about the best direction for our website. We were early adopters of the mobile suite and paid the price - it was just too flaky. Recently we revisited the mobile suite via the vBulletin App on this site and got quite excited. It looked good and appeared to have features we were keen to provide. Push notifications, a calendar that could save into your local calendar and of course access to all the other VB features. Looked good so for minimal time investment we upgraded VB to the last VB4.2.5 version and built our VBulletin App. The App is pretty good certainly as far as functionality goes it gives access to most of the suite. We knew we wouldn't get push notifications, that's made clear in the doco but we also found there is no calendar, that appears to only work with VB5.

So right now we are almost happy with the mobile App (Android only so far)and it is going well in testing but we need calendar access in the app and push notifications are also desirable. Both appear to require VB5..

VBulletin 5 Connect however is a mystery to us, nowhere can we find a simple end user explanation VB4 v VB5

What's it for? Why update apart from the things I've mentioned

What does it do better than VB4?

Is it worth upgrading to VB to get a better App with Calendar and Push Notifications?

The best way to know if VB5 would be good for you is to get hands on with it in our 7 day free trial: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/

It is important to note that while the vast majority of content is upgraded from VB4 to VB5 (posts to posts, threads to topics, blogs to blogs, groups to groups, articles to articles, attachments to attachments, albums to user media...) that VB4 calendar data is NOT upgraded to VB5 calendar data. You will basically be starting with a clean calendar in VB5. It doesn't affect most customers but if you make heavy use of the calendar you should be aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      The best way to know if VB5 would be good for you is to get hands on with it in our 7 day free trial: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/

It is important to note that while the vast majority of content is upgraded from VB4 to VB5 (posts to posts, threads to topics, blogs to blogs, groups to groups, articles to articles, attachments to attachments, albums to user media...) that VB4 calendar data is NOT upgraded to VB5 calendar data. You will basically be starting with a clean calendar in VB5. It doesn't affect most customers but if you make heavy use of the calendar you should be aware.
      Does trial allow us to test mobile app against VB5 the mobile app is our focus

We use calendar a lot, getting the calendar on our phones via an app is the main reason we are considering change

Comment

No there is no trial for the mobile app, but you can download the app for this site and test it that way.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks Mark I have been using VBulletin App for a while (in fact I'm using it now) but as far as i can tell I don't have permission to post to calendar which is a key consideration

Also when I try to post an image I get this message which I assume means it's too big
          Attached Files
          Last edited by YK0302; Tue 22nd May '18, 4:43am.

Comment

Yes the PHP upload limit is a server setting. You can usually alter it though some shared hosts do not allow changing the value. Images from mobile phones with top end cameras will need to be resized before being uploaded on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by YK0302 View Post
              Thanks Mark I have been using VBulletin App for a while (in fact I'm using it now) but as far as i can tell I don't have permission to post to calendar which is a key consideration
              Is there any way to test calendar from the App?

Comment

Originally posted by YK0302 View Post

Is there any way to test calendar from the App?
                It can only really be viewed from the app. To create and event you would need to do it from the web interface (which can be done via a mobile web browser).
                Calendar entries are created by starting a thread in a forum, as an event content type.

The best mobile experience on vB5 is really from a mobile web browser. The mobile app offers basic functionality but not the full user experience.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

It can only really be viewed from the app. To create and event you would need to do it from the web interface (which can be done via a mobile web browser).
                  Calendar entries are created by starting a thread in a forum, as an event content type.

The best mobile experience on vB5 is really from a mobile web browser. The mobile app offers basic functionality but not the full user experience.
                  Thanks Mark looking at mobile web browsers too.

Comment