X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Question54
    • Apr 2018
    • 4.2.x

License and Moving Web Hosts

Hi vBulletin staff and other consumers of vB software!

I was thinking of purchasing a full license just to use the 4.2.x but I have a question.

In the scenario of where I'd be moving after a year of one host to another web host provider... I'd technically be temporarily having 2 vB under the same license.
    I've read in the vBulletin FAQ that I am only allowed to have one official forum and a test forum.

1. How long would I have to be able to migrate from one webhost to another?
    Would it still apply as 1 official and 1 "testing" ?

Will said license be cancelled after a week of having both softwares up in the progress of testing and moving? Can I have it repealed in the case of my license being cancelled?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Question54; Sat 28 Apr '18, 2:58am.
  • agoodm
    • Apr 2018
    • 5.3.x

I've recently moved a forum between several servers. I had no licensing issues. All I did was use hosts file to redirect traffic at new server while I completed and verified setup before closing forum, dumping database, syncing files, importing database, adjusting DNS, deleting HOSTS entry, reopening forum. In the past I have used other URLs for short periods without issues.

Comment

• bootsie1
      • Jun 2017
      • 5.3.x

You can have a test forum and production forum provided the test forum called testvb or vbtest not sure which but which ever it is it must be password protected so no one but you can access it
      Cometbar

DartsLeague

Comment

• Question54
        • Apr 2018
        • 4.2.x

@agoodm.

It's good to hear that they didn't null or reject your license

I'm still new to all this webhosting stuff so I read the FAQs and license agreements thing.
        And being new means that I'm going to be slow since reading a bunch of guides and stuff on how to move from cpanel by phpmyadmin for database and other stuff since I haven't practiced (don't think I will for a while) with SSH or if I get SSH access from all webhosts.

How short were those periods though, a few days?

@bootsie1,
        password protected like maintenance mode on the new site (being moved to) until otherwise ready?
        Last edited by Question54; Sat 28 Apr '18, 11:06am.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

You're unlikely to run into any issues when all you're doing is moving servers. Make the switch, point the dns, close the old copy of the site with a notice.
          Technically you need to put the old one behind .htaccess as well but for the sake of a few hours I don't think anybody will mind.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Question54
            • Apr 2018
            • 4.2.x

Just had to reassure myself. Will proceed to get a copy soon. Thanks guys.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...