X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sheilaanderson
    • Apr 2018
    • 4.2.x

Is there a maximum number of channels and subchannels

We are building a vb .5.3.4 forum and would like to have large number of forums and sub forums (channels) is there a maximum allowed number? Also is invisible a prohibited name, i.e. does naming a subchannel invisible make it invisible even if it's set to be visible in channel and group permissions.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

It's hard to answer the max number of forums, it will heavily depend on the server and performance. I haven't seem any VB5 forum perform well with more than a few hundred forums.. I might be being too conservative but I would try to limit forums and sub-forums to one hundred to two hundred unless perhaps on a top of the line dedicated server.

Comment

• HarryN
      • Apr 2018
      • 5.3.x

Just curious - is it feasible to "split" a forum if it gets too large or is that "complicated"?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I suppose the closest option would be to buy another license, make a full copy of the forum to two places, then delete half the content from each of the two installs so you have half on one site and half on another site. Splitting a live forum isn't a built in feature.

Presumably you'd keep say "Forum A" and all its subforums on the original site and keep Forum B and it's subforums on the second site.

You'd then have to deal with usernames/passwords for each forum. They would start out the same but you would need custom software to keep them synced over time if it wasn't being done manually.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...