• Show
Clear All
  • ABDUR7MAAN
    • Sep 2013
    • 5.3.x

Which is better vbulletin5 or vbulletin4 or vbulletin.3

Good evening
    How is everyone ...
    I would like to put up a topic that we share the views among us in terms of the preference and the most used in the forums of the vbulletin program.
    As a site manager what you will choose : vbulletin5 or vbulletin4 or vbulletin.3 , And why you chose this version ؟

I hope the forum Administrators will allow us to discuss with us on this subject .
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

For customers using highly customized versions of vBulletin 3 and 4, they should stick with those copies. The upgrade to vBulletin 5 will take time and have a learning curve. This is especially true for large established boards using languages that do not use the Latin alphabet. The older versions used tricks and workarounds that can break these sites when they upgrade.

For new customers just starting out, they will get the most value for the money using vBulletin 5. It offers the widest customization ability and many features that were requested in older versions but never implemented.

For people who do choose to upgrade to vBulletin 5 from vBulletin 3 and 4, we suggest this is done on a copy of your database in a clean environment. This will allow you to work through any issues, customize the site, and get it up to speed before upgrading your live site. This will result in the least frustration and downtime for your end-users.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ABDUR7MAAN
      • Sep 2013
      • 5.3.x

Even new customers have a fear of using the new version. What do you think?

I agree with you the new version which features much better than the old versions, but the old versions have a distinctive feature is that it is an organization in terms of creating forums and topics and blogs and articles each section has specialized links non-overlapping with other links unlike the new version sections, articles and blogs all versions Unified.
      Even in the storage method in the old release database the best in the storage of modern and more organized versions of the new version.

I wish you to have your chest welcomed and accept the views until we get the result of patients and treat the error in the new version together and make it more stable

I hope all members interact in this matter, so everyone benefits

Comment

• Mattwhf
        • May 2016
        • 4.2.x

I think all versions of vB (3,4,5) are good and each one has its advantages, you need to use or try them to see which one will work best for your forum.
        Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
        Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• Prince
          • Sep 2001

http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
          http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
          http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• wildblueworld
            • Jan 2009
            • 3.6.x

I wish this discussion had more content -- I am very interested in this topic. I'm one of the admins on a vB forum that has existed since 2005.
            Our stats:
            Threads: 26,276, Posts: 312,111, Members: 2,084, Active Members: 339

We're on vBulletin version 3.8.11. I'm wondering what new features we would gain, and what existing features we would lose, by upgrading to the 5 series.

We don't have any plugins active right now. It's a fairly vanilla installation of vBulletin.

Some years ago, we discussed upgrading to vB 4.x, and there were a number of strong voices who recommended we stay on the vB 3 series. Another forum, related to us but bigger, had upgraded to the 4 series, and there were a bunch of our club members that didn't like it. I don't remember why, but I do recall that it offered features that our users didn't want (like user blogs).

So I'm wondering the following:
            1. If you have upgraded to the 5 series, what features do you have now that are awesome?
            2. Does the 5 series have a mobile app?
            3. If you're still on the 3.x series, why? What changes would happen to your forum that your current users would dislike? What would you lose?

Thanks!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Best is subjective and correlates with your needs at the time.

Upgrading from vBulletin 3, you would gain -
              • Blogs, Articles, Social Groups
              • vBulletin Messenger (real-time chat between one or more people)
              • Responsive Styling (works in all devices regardless of screen dimensions)
              • Site Builder
              • Modern Programming Design
              • Ability to support current server software.
              • Multiple New Themes
              • Third-Party Login integration (Facebook, Google, Twitter)
              • GDPR Support
              • Multi-Factor Authentication for Administrators and Moderators
              • Improved Inline Moderation Functionality
              • Faster Javascript
              • In-Depth Style Customization without editing templates.
              • Template Hooks to embed your own custom templates without editing stock templates.
              • Improved Caching
              • Ongoing compatibility with the Mobile Suite
              Depending on your hardware, you may experience a performance decrease. This is due to the more dynamic method of page generation. Site Builder allows you to edit existing pages and create custom pages throughout your site. You can also edit the links in the header and footer through site builder or choose one of the many default themes that ships with the software. Using Site Builder, you can show different pages to users based on their usergroup and/or device.

If you had a large site (15 Million or more posts), then staying on vBulletin 3 could be warranted. It handles data better and you need less hardware and configuration to sustain it. However, it uses outdated technology in its HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP. With a small site such as your own, there is no reason to stay on vBulletin 3. Both vBulletin 4 and vBulletin 5 would work for your. Even vBulletin Cloud is an option if you want it hosted on our hardware.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 15 Oct '18, 12:57pm.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• m-d-luffy
                • Sep 2018

The fifth generation beautiful and wonderful script
                But needs to be rearranged and removed
                The best idea for the fifth generation is the block system and each block has its own characteristics.
                Block Forum System
                Block Articles System
                Block Gallery System
                Block social group system
                The block is activated or disabled at the expense of the user

Bah
                العاب - game
                العاب - game
                العاب - game

https://www.youtube.com/@abdur7maan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...