Can a User add a Video using the Mobile app a post using VB5 Cloud?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Hoffman
    • Feb 2018
    • 5.0.x

Can a User add a Video using the Mobile app a post using VB5 Cloud?

I have tested the mobile app and I like how Photos are attached but I noticed that I cannot upload Videos. Is that a setting to allow Video files? Will VBulletin Cloud allow you to upload videos? I do not care to use links, I want to upload the videos. Will the forum users be able to view the videos in the forum posts?

• BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

The reality of uploading videos is they take up a lot of space and cloud hosting is probably not ideal for a site where users were regularly uploading videos. Further, by default, there is no means to upload a video in VB5 and have it play embedded like a youtube video for example will be embedded. That's not to say it's impossible though - I have written instructions for allowing uploaded videos to be embedded in VB5.

Local video uploads: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...69#post4327669

Comment

• Dan Hoffman
      • Feb 2018
      • 5.0.x

Joe,
      Thank you for your response. Does VBulletin plan to add a native Video upload to their forum? My users are not technically capable and need a really simple interface. Most of my users have gone to Facebook for the ease of uploading videos.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Dan Hoffman
        Joe,
        Thank you for your response. Does VBulletin plan to add a native Video upload to their forum? My users are not technically capable and need a really simple interface. Most of my users have gone to Facebook for the ease of uploading videos.
        There are no current plans for this.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Dan Hoffman
          • Feb 2018
          • 5.0.x

Thanks for the response. I really like your forum software but I need to be able to support Video uploads. Take Care

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

I am not aware of any forum software that offers native video embedding to the local forum. Most forum hosts would be ill equipped for the disk space required to handle a growing number of user videos. On the other hand sites like YouTube and Vimeo offer apps that easily allow the uploading of videos and vBulletin allows for the easy embedding of YouTube and Vimeo videos. While it is an extra step it also removes the need for the forum's server to deal with large video files.

Comment

• Dan Hoffman
              • Feb 2018
              • 5.0.x

Thanks Joe. I understand your point. Unfortunately, Videos are very popular and everyone is going to Facebook for the ease of use. I had 10,000 user and now the site is dead and everyone has moved to Facebook so they can upload videos. However, the majority of the user hate facebook and would be happy to use the site if they could easily upload videos from a phone.. The 1st forum software to create a good video solution will win over 1000's of forums.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

The problem is the hundreds of gigabytes that would be needed to store the videos on a busy forum would be far beyond the ability of the average forum owner. Facebook lost millions of dollars for many years before turning a profit. YouTube too. I would be very surprised if there is ever a forum solution that can accommodate hundreds of people uploading multiple videos a day, but if you can find one, I wish you luck. I would be happy to be wrong.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

I should point out that there is a popular issue in our tracker to allow video uploading. There isn't actually anything preventing customers from allowing video uploads in the software now. On Cloud, they would be limited in size to about 25 megabytes each so you're not going to be uploading feature-length films. With current encoding standards, you can get a minute or so of video in 25 megabytes. From there, the site owner can create a custom BBCode to embed that video into a post using the HTML standard <video> tag. Third-party developers can also extend the existing BB Code [video] tag to add functionality.

This doesn't address mobile though. The Mobile OSes are usually more limited in their upload options. At this time we're watching the development of video and haven't ruled anything out.

Embedding video in a post is possible. I've done a demonstration here: https://forums.rabidbadger.io/rabidb...ded-video-test. The embedded video is an attachment in the post above it.
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 20 Feb '18, 11:01am.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment