Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Creating a "home" page, hiding the "first time" message

I'm using the online demo. I've created a page named "Home" and added it to the nav bar, the idea being that this would be the first page the site goes to and it would just contain general information and graphics - nothing related to the forums unless you go to the forums page. How can I hide the "If this is your first visit..." message that automatically shows up on the page if you are not logged in on THIS HOME PAGE?

EDIT: also, is there a way to have the forums page NOT be the "home", but some other page?
    Last edited by StephenKay; Sat 4 Nov '17, 2:17pm.
  • Joshua Gonzales
    • Apr 2015
    • 5.5.x

That message is an Announcement or a Notice, can't remember off the top of my head. But both are accessed from the AdminCP.
    I believe it is a Notice named default guest message. You can edit it, delete it, or create new ones.
    Just look for Announcement and Notice options down the left menu of the AdminCP.

Also, technically the landing page on a vb5 site is not the forum page. It is a home page with the activity stream module that happens to display the forums. The actual forum page is at [SiteURL]/forum.
    Much like the actual forum page of this site is www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum

You should be able to remove the activity stream module without issue if you wish.
    I'll check on that though.
    Last edited by Joshua Gonzales; Sat 4 Nov '17, 3:14pm. Reason: typos
    -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -- Ads available for the modules globally
    -- Global modules
    -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
      • Apr 2015
      • 5.5.x

Okay yes, you can remove the Acticity Stream module. Changing the home page is a delicate process though. It is easy to break the site while doing so.
      The way I did it on my test site at https://cobaltchameleon.vbulletin.net was mostly done editing the Navigation Bar.
      I changed the Forum item's target URL to "/forum" without quotation marks.
      Then I created a Home item with the Target URL "/", again without quotes.
      Then to make it look nice, because the NavBar is one of the things that doesn't play well with changing the home page, I moved all of the Forum item's sub navigation bars to the Home items.
      I did this by dragging the sub items to the main bar space, then opening the home sub nav space and dragging them there, if that makes sense.
      -- Global modules

Comment

• StephenKay
        • Apr 2003

Thanks for all that info. Will have to digest and experiment. I noticed that on cobaltchameleon if you click the Forum tab, it switches but the Home tab remains hilighted.

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
          • Apr 2015
          • 5.5.x

That is part of the Nav Bar not playing well with changing the home page. If I hadn't moved the Forum item's sub nav bar items to the Home item, there would be no sub nav bar items displayed at all for those two buttons/nav bar items.
          -- Global modules

Comment

• StephenKay
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Joshua Gonzales
            That message is an Announcement or a Notice, can't remember off the top of my head. But both are accessed from the AdminCP.
            I believe it is a Notice named default guest message. You can edit it, delete it, or create new ones.
            Just look for Announcement and Notice options down the left menu of the AdminCP.
            But editing that would change it for all pages, would it not? Is there a way to hide it for just one page?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Notices appear on all pages.

You could use an html module to add page-specific stuff.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                • Apr 2015
                • 5.5.x

No, not just for one page. You can configure how or why it shows from the Notices manager but individual pages is not an option.
                Announcements are controlled by channel and whether the Announcement module is placed on the page, but they do not have the configuration options Notices have.

EDIT: or What Mark said.
                -- Global modules

Comment

• StephenKay
                  • Apr 2003

Actually, it seems that you *can* specify the notice appears on only one page, i.e. when user is browsing "Forums". I just tried it and it works, but now it's gone on all the other pages. So it seems you could duplicate the notice several times, and apply each one to a different page, such that only one page did not have it.

Comment

• StephenKay
                    • Apr 2003

So I was trying to make a "copy" of the default home page (there seems to be no duplicate page) as a new page, and place the same modules on it that the original has, so that this could be my "forums" page, and then I would delete all the modules from the default Home Page and I could put whatever I wanted there. But I cannot find the Recent Blog Posts or Latest Topics modules...

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 5.5.x

Those modules are search modules with options configured to show latest topics and recent blog posts respectively.
                      You can either recreate them by selecting the proper options or if you click the blue "switch to advanced editor" link at the top of the Edit Search Module pop up you can copy the Search JSON and paste it into the new search module.
                      -- Global modules

Comment

• StephenKay
                        • Apr 2003

Thanks, that worked.

Comment

• StephenKay
                          • Apr 2003

HELP! What can you do when you've hopelessly screwed up the page navigation bar and have "lost" pages?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

The "Pages" option in Site Builder should list all custom pages so you can get back to them again even if they aren't connected to any other pages.

Comment