Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xtreme2k
    • Mar 2002

Help: mod_gzip module in apache interfers with vbulletin

I dont know what but if I enable the mod_gzip module in apache, my vbulletin message board doesnt work properly. Sometimes it links to the wrong page, sometimes it ask for password for no reason, unable to upload attachments and avatars. However, if I remove mod_gzip from apache, everything works perfectly. But then I do want to save some bandwidth as the gzip module does make the html sent MUCH smaller (20k -> 4k - in general).

I know that gzip can be enabled thru php. But then I dont seem to get it work. Everytime it is enable, IE will not open the file, instead it ask you to save the file. I think I might have misunderstood zlib being different from gzip. But then there doesnt seem to be where I can find help in.

I am a new webmaster and currently unable to find the purchased password and member code so that I can get help from the vbulletin.com. The copy has been purchased quite a while ago and the old webmaster has quit. I hope someone has the knowledge here.

---
    Edit: Dont worry about replying to this. I will purchase a copy of VB in a few days on my behalf and post this question in the right forum.
    Last edited by xtreme2k; Tue 26 Mar '02, 2:14am.
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

By using mod_gzip and turning GZip on in vBulletin, you are double-compressing the pages. Since you already use mod_gzip you can leave GZip in vB off.

Comment

• xtreme2k
      • Mar 2002

Thanks very much for replying. I didnt expect this to get any replies.

I did not enable both the PHP gzip and the Apache at the same time. I tried apache gzip module, then what happens was incorrect linked pages, password asked all over the place, attachments unable to be uploaded, unable to save chages in vb admin.

I then disable all traces of Gzip in apache and enable in PHP.ini gzip. Tried nearly every which settings. Pages are not readable by IE. It asks you to save the page instead of opening it.

Turned off both. Forum works perfectly.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

There are actually 3 ways of using GZip. One is through Apache's mod_gzip, the second is having zlib compiled into PHP and turning gzip on in php.ini and the third is having zlib compiled into PHP and turning GZip on in the vB control panel.

I did not enable both the PHP gzip and the Apache at the same time. I tried apache gzip module, then what happens was incorrect linked pages, password asked all over the place, attachments unable to be uploaded, unable to save chages in vb admin.
        Actually what I meant was, there is an option in vB to enable GZipping of pages. This requires zlib to be compiled into PHP and to have gzip turned off in php.ini.

I then disable all traces of Gzip in apache and enable in PHP.ini gzip. Tried nearly every which settings. Pages are not readable by IE. It asks you to save the page instead of opening it.
        If zlib isn't compiled into PHP, PHP will probably die if you turn on gzip in php.ini, which sounds like what happened.

Comment

• xtreme2k
          • Mar 2002

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

I fixed it. At the end this is what I did. As I am using the Win32 version of apache and php (this is forum is still in testing stage on my computer as this will only be a private forum for me and my colleges to use). I prefer to set it up on my computer first and see what it is like.

Disabled mod_gzip on Apache
          PHP.ini - all gzip settings set to NO.
          php.ini - php_zlib loaded
          VB admin - Gzip ON, Compression 2

Checked my apache logs. Pages are served at compressed size.

Once again. THANKS!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...