Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meisburger
    • May 2017

beginner question on Cloud

I would like to start a forum, but I’m old, and relatively techno-illiterate. The only forum I use regularly is this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/, which uses vBulletin, and I like it fine.

The forum, at least to start, is for professional discussion, and is likely to have around 100 members the first year. I would also like to have an accompanying webpage (perhaps the homepage) that will allow moderator posting of links (I want to do an online professional journal that will be updated monthly or quarterly).

I’ve read your site, and I think the vBulletin Cloud would be best for me. Does that make sense?

Also, do I need to buy a domain name separately, or should I do that through you if I am using Cloud?
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Hello,

Concerning the domain name, if you happy with a domain line something.vbulletin.net where you specify the something then you do not need to purchase your own domain. However if you want your own .com, .net, or any of the many other top level domains, a truly custom address, then you must purchase a domain name from a domain registrar.

We would recommend GoDaddy or any of the other registrars for which we provide instructions in setting up a custom CNAME record which will be required to get your vBCloud forum working with your custom domain- https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...r-cname-record

As to your desire to have a custom page with links, that is possible with Sire Builder, which is part of vBCloud and one or more custom modules including the Static HTML module in which you simply type (or paste) in custom HTML code and you can have anything you want, provided you can create the HTML code necessary.

You may find our Articles or Blogs system works out better than creating custom pages.

Considering the risk is low for a month-to-month purchase it seems like your best option. After a month or two if you are happy you can change to annual billing to save some money in the long term.

Comment