X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sespe
    • Apr 2017
    • 4.2.x

vBulletin second hand License

So I'm currently planing to buy a second hand license from someone at a sale/buy forum, because my budget is tight and the proyect it's not 100% safe to pay off, but I really want your awesome forum soft. That's why I came here, and ended up reading this:

Read This Before Purchasing a Second-Hand License

The urge to look for deals is ubiquitous and there is nothing wrong with that. We all want to be able to buy something for less. However such sales can be fraught with risks, particularly in regards to software licensing and dealing with persons unknown to us personally.

Therefore before purchasing a second-hand vBulletin license, you should be aware that making such a purchase means taking a risk that you will be scammed and the license will either be invalid or subject to revocation after the sale and transfer. Furthermore, vBulletin Solutions cannot be a party to any disputes involving license transfers. Here are some of the possible pitfalls when purchasing a license from an unofficial source and some things you should know:

1. First, please read the license agreement, located here: http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

It outlines our license transfer restrictions, including a limit of one transfer per license. Once a license is transferred to you, you will not be able to transfer this license in the future.

2. Be aware that even after the transfer it is possible that the original purchase of the license could be charged back. This can, and does happen. If that is done, then the license will be revoked and you will no longer have a legal license to run vBulletin. [Note: Chargebacks can occur at almost any time so time does not equal security.]

3. If the old owner continues to use this copy of vBulletin and this license is being used on more than one site, this may result in the license being revoked.

4. Finally, in some cases the owner may dispute that this was a valid transfer. Whole we do everything we can to ensure the transfer request is valid, we cannot guarantee that it won't be disputed. If this happens the transfer will be considered fraudulent and the license will revert back to the original owner.
    I have some questions regarding points 3 and 4.

Point 3) The license is transferred and the old owner is still available to use it despite already being transfered to a new owner ? If so, how and why is this even possible ? "this may result in the license being revoked." from him ? or both ?

Point 4) The old owner may dispute at any moment that the license transfer was invalid, for example, because he says that "I did a chargeback at paypal" if I can prove that he is lying and that the transaction was 100% valid I still get my license revoked ?
    Last edited by Sespe; Sun 16 Apr '17, 7:27pm.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Sespe
    So I'm currently planing to buy a second hand license from someone at a sale/buy forum, because my budget is tight and the proyect it's not 100% safe to pay off, but I really want your awesome forum soft. That's why I came here, and ended up reading this:

I have some questions regarding points 3 and 4.

Point 3) The license is transferred and the old owner is still available to use it despite already being transfered to a new owner ? If so, how and why is this even possible ? "this may result in the license being revoked." from him ? or both ?

Point 4) The old owner may dispute at any moment that the license transfer was invalid, for example, because he says that "I did a chargeback at paypal" if I can prove that he is lying and that the transaction was 100% valid I still get my license revoked ?
    Yes. This is the risk of buying a second hand license. There is no physical way to stop someone carrying on using files they have already downloaded, and if they do so the license will eventually be revoked for multiple use. That means neither party can use it.

As for PayPal, we do not get involved in ANY third party disputes of any sort.

These are the risks of buying a used license and are the reason we make it clear. It is a private transaction between yourself and the seller...just like buying a car....our ONLY involvement is to facilitate it by carrying out the seller's instructions. If it goes wrong we cannot help.

The only safe, supported and secure way to buy a license is to buy a brand new one from us.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...