• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desetoiles
    • Mar 2017
    • 3.5.x

Upgrade path from 3.5.3 with database only

Hi,

Looking to buy a new vBulletin 5 license. I've been asked to investigate whether it's possible to upgrade from a copy of a 3.5.3 database to the latest vBulletin 5. This is from an extremely old site (10+ years I believe) that is no longer around and the previous administrator of the site who owned the license is also no longer around.

If I purchase a new vBulletin 5 license, will the download area have the files to upgrade from 3.5.3 to 3.8 and then to 5? Or is there an import tool only for the database? I only have access to the MySQL database backup and not any of the other files so would I most likely need to download 3.5.3, then 3.8, then 5?

It would be ideal if it could be imported directly into a new vB 5 site. It's not a major issue if some of the features from the previous site are lost, only that the posts/PMs are there with their original post dates.

Finally, if it IS possible, can it be done with vB cloud as well?

Thanks.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

You will have access to old versions of vBulletin. Download VB 3.8.10 if on PHP 5.5.x or higher or VB 3.8.9 on PHP 5.4.x. Either version should upgrade a VB 3.5.x version to the new version. You can then either say on VB 3.x or upgrade to VB 4.x or 5.x from there.
    Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Sun 5 Mar '17, 5:08am.

Comment