Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Franki
    • Mar 2002

Ikonboard 3 Vs vBulletin

I run a large board in my site with Ikonboard 3.0.1 installed. I'm thinking about switching the board to vBulletin. Could you please tell me the advantages and disadvantages for using vBulletin instead of Ikonboard? Thank you!
  • BillaBongUSA
    • Mar 2002

The oldest version of ikonBoard that I had used was a 2.x.x, so this information may or may not be accurate... But from what I've experienced, I can tell you that vB is much better than iB. From what I can tell, it's much faster, and the administrative features are very numerous. If you haven't checked the demo Administrator Control Panel, I'd suggest doing so. Aside from features, the support for vBulletin is amazing. vBulletin is one of the best boards I've ever used...and I've used a lot of boards.
    http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

• Franki
      • Mar 2002

Where can I check the demo Administrative Control Panel? Is there any URL? I would like to know about the features that Ikonboard 3 has and vBulletin 2.2.4 does't. Thanx!

Comment

• BillaBongUSA
        • Mar 2002

Here you go. Have fun.
        http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

• filburt1
          • Feb 2002

Re: Ikonboard 3 Vs vBulletin

Originally posted by Franki
          I run a large board in my site with Ikonboard 3.0.1 installed. I'm thinking about switching the board to vBulletin. Could you please tell me the advantages and disadvantages for using vBulletin instead of Ikonboard? Thank you!
          IIRC, IkonBoard URLs have a .cgi extension, which seems to imply that they use flat files, just like *shudder* UBB. On a small board this is okay, but when more and more people get online, the server gets driven to its knees.

I haven't administered an Ikonboard before, but you can see how powerful vB is at the admin demo: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

One thing about vBulletin that you don't have to worry about is that our entire development team won't suddenly quit because of a difference of opinion. And even if they do, we can hire more immediately.

With Ikonboard you don't have this certainty. In fact a few weeks ago most of their development team did quit.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Re: Re: Ikonboard 3 Vs vBulletin

Originally posted by filburt1
              IIRC, IkonBoard URLs have a .cgi extension, which seems to imply that they use flat files, just like *shudder* UBB.
              Not that I particularly care for iB but .cgi means it is using Perl, not flat files. Perl can use a MySQL backend (or most any other database for that matter) just like PHP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...