X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Lee
    • Sep 2013
    • 5.2.x

Migrate VB5.2 from Host Gator to Cloud

I'd like to purchase either Silver or Gold VB Cloud and move everything to VBulletin.

Who is responsible for migrating files?

Other than regular upgrades are there any other things VB handles?

Once my domain is set to the new location where do I host my e-mail?

Thanks in advance... just wanted to check before I make paymet.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

To migrate, you would need to create backups of your database, attachment folder, and avatar folder. These would be made available to the Support Tech doing your migration.

The Cloud Team handle upgrades to vBulletin as well as the servers as needed. Generally, to make sure the software works properly. You manage the day to day operations of your forum such as removing spam, moderating members and so forth.

You would redirect part of your domain to the Cloud for your forum... i.e. www.domain.com or forum.domain.com. This won't affect the mail settings of your domain or non-vBulletin pages accessed by other subdomains. For email generated by vBulletin, we will configure the system to use our SMTP provider. Emails will be sent on your behalf automatically.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mike Lee
      • Sep 2013
      • 5.2.x

Thanks Wayne, one more question. For e-mail genrated by VB, would we still be able to manage our e-mail accounts such as creating forwards and such?

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Note that if you have any third-party plugins and themes, they are not allowed in vBCloud.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Mike Lee
          • Sep 2013
          • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
          Note that if you have any third-party plugins and themes, they are not allowed in vBCloud.
          Thanks... we lost all that when upgrading to VB5. I think we are good to go now. Doing some backups now and hopefully will have some time to make this happen.

I guess Tap-a-Talk would fall into the category of 3rd party plug-in but can live without that.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mike Lee
            Thanks Wayne, one more question. For e-mail genrated by VB, would we still be able to manage our e-mail accounts such as creating forwards and such?
            It uses a single email account and sends as if from the webmaster. It doesn't have any user configuration and only handles outgoing email. If you need further email services, you will need to use another provider such as Google Mail or a package provided by many hosting companies and registrars.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mike Lee
              Mike Lee commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotcha... thanks!
          • saudiinfocus2018
            • Mar 2018
            • 5.3.x

How long does support team response about migration request? I've just purchased silver vbulletin cloud and send a request to migrate my forum but 'till now, I've heard nothing.

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
              • Apr 2015
              • 5.5.x

Originally posted by saudiinfocus2018
              How long does support team response about migration request? I've just purchased silver vbulletin cloud and send a request to migrate my forum but 'till now, I've heard nothing.
              Hi there! I believe we just spoke on the phone about your inquiry. As I said, all tickets, including migration requests, are answered in the order they are received. Depending on our workload, the typical initial response time is approximately 24 hours. Someone should be along to claim your ticket soon!
              Last edited by Joshua Gonzales; Thu 8 Mar '18, 1:38pm. Reason: Spelling
              -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -- Ads available for the modules globally
              -- Global modules
              -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• saudiinfocus2018
                saudiinfocus2018 commented
                Editing a comment
                yeap. thanks for prompt reply sir.
            • TravelTalk
              • Jun 2013
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              To migrate, you would need to create backups of your database, attachment folder, and avatar folder. These would be made available to the Support Tech doing your migration.

The Cloud Team handle upgrades to vBulletin as well as the servers as needed. Generally, to make sure the software works properly. You manage the day to day operations of your forum such as removing spam, moderating members and so forth.

You would redirect part of your domain to the Cloud for your forum... i.e. www.domain.com or forum.domain.com. This won't affect the mail settings of your domain or non-vBulletin pages accessed by other subdomains. For email generated by vBulletin, we will configure the system to use our SMTP provider. Emails will be sent on your behalf automatically.
              Hi Wayne, it's the pain in the butt guy with a lot of questions again

instead of starting a New thread I figured I would ask some questions about migration here.

Now I understand a little about it, but let's say I have Built my Forum the way I wanted it, with Sub forums/ Channels, have some content / Posts, not much, No Attachment or Avatar folders
              Also just a couple of Mod accounts, a bunch of Banned user names ( which doesn't matter ) My VB Skin, etc Do I still need to backup the database ?

Wouldn't it just be changing the DNS settings over to VB Cloud ? or without backing up the Database I would lose my Sub forums, etc ??

Also I see when picking a plan there's an option to purchase Mobile Suite, When I purchased my VB lic. I bought VB 5 Connect with Mobile Suite, so I don't need to add that as an Option, Correct ??

Thank you again for any help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

When you create an account on vBulletin Cloud, we create an empty database. The way we migrate your site is with a backup of your database. This imports your data and makes sure the database is upgraded to the latest version. Without the backup you will lose everything you have. If that is your intention, then we don't need a backup.

You would have to contact [email protected] about your Mobile Suite license. These are attached to the license, not the URL.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TravelTalk
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  When you create an account on vBulletin Cloud, we create an empty database. The way we migrate your site is with a backup of your database. This imports your data and makes sure the database is upgraded to the latest version. Without the backup you will lose everything you have. If that is your intention, then we don't need a backup.

You would have to contact [email protected] about your Mobile Suite license. These are attached to the license, not the URL.
                  ok, I just checked to see when it was last backed up, it was yesterday 6/5
                  I went to phpMyAdmin and exported my VB forum to my computer in a folder using notepadX, it's only 32.885KB
                  So this should be good to go ?

I'll contact sales once I get everything up and runnning.

Thank you again

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

Is the file a .SQL file or a .sql.gz file or something else? phpmyadmin is generally a bad way fo making backups but on small databases it could work, just want to make sure you have the correct file type. If your hosting account has cPanel access the "Backup" icon is a much better option for downloading a db backup.

Comment

• TravelTalk
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Joe D.
                      Is the file a .SQL file or a .sql.gz file or something else? phpmyadmin is generally a bad way fo making backups but on small databases it could work, just want to make sure you have the correct file type. If your hosting account has cPanel access the "Backup" icon is a much better option for downloading a db backup.
                      In my CPanel I have options under Databases
                      besides phpmyadmin, I have MySQL databases, MySQL database wizard and remote MySQL
                      But none of the other options have a way to Export to a folder

Now I do have a back up Wizard under Files in my CPanel, it's where I can either back up or Restore, and when I go there this is what it says

This feature allows you to download a compressed copy of all or part of your website.

The system will include the following items in the backup file:
                      • The home directory.
                      • MySQL® databases.
                      • Email forwarder configurations.
                      • Email filter configurations.
                      So should I download it ?

also would I be able to give access to my CPanel account if needed to the VB tech who will do the migration if I don't have what they need ?

Comment

• TravelTalk
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TravelTalk

In my CPanel I have options under Databases
                        besides phpmyadmin, I have MySQL databases, MySQL database wizard and remote MySQL
                        But none of the other options have a way to Export to a folder

Now I do have a back up Wizard under Files in my CPanel, it's where I can either back up or Restore, and when I go there this is what it says

This feature allows you to download a compressed copy of all or part of your website.

The system will include the following items in the backup file:
                        • The home directory.
                        • MySQL® databases.
                        • Email forwarder configurations.
                        • Email filter configurations.
                        So should I download it ?

also would I be able to give access to my CPanel account if needed to the VB tech who will do the migration if I don't have what they need ?
                        So after downloading the above, the file is a tar.gz

Good ??

Comment

• TravelTalk
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Joe D.
                          and the first export is a SQL file

Comment