Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jderouen
    • Jan 2006

Need to see forums running vb5

Are there live, real world samples of forums running VB5? I'm sure there are, but I can't find a list. We have been running VB for years and currently are using VB 4.x but are considering upgrading. I just want to see some samples of existing forums first. Thanks!
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

I have a vB5 forum at http://vbmods.rocks/. I just launched it a few months ago so it's not big yet but it's growing. The site has modifications and simple style that I developed myself.

If you are looking for big sites, then don't look far. This support site is running vB5 and it's relatively big with 2.3M posts.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• jderouen
      • Jan 2006

I just want to see as many as I can, big and small. I'll check out your site, thanks! Our site is customized pretty heavily in some areas, like each forum has a different header banner, etc. Can you still do that with VB5?

Here is our forum: http://megomuseum.com/community/

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

The difficulty we have as support is that we cannot simply publish customer site URLs without their express permission.

One that I have done some work on that HAS given permission is www.hdherd.com. They are on vB Cloud these days but were initially on self-hosted.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

You can also take a look at vBulletin Showcase channel and you will see some vB5 sites listed there.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• jderouen
            • Jan 2006

Thanks, that helps!

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jderouen
              We have been running VB for years and currently are using VB 4.x but are considering upgrading
              Why are you considering it ?
              What issue are you having with vB4 ?

You should never upgrade a forum unless you have a compelling need to do so.

Be aware that you will basically lose all customisations moving from vB4 to vB5, products, plugins and styles are not compatible from one to the other.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Nintenex
                • Oct 2016
                • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                Why are you considering it ?
                What issue are you having with vB4 ?

You should never upgrade a forum unless you have a compelling need to do so.

Be aware that you will basically lose all customisations moving from vB4 to vB5, products, plugins and styles are not compatible from one to the other.
                Are you also implying that vB5 products aren't as good as older versions yet? just curious because i I heard that somewhere.

____

You have permission to see my forum, I leave it in my signature. I'm on cloud right but im transferring to vB5soonish https://www.nintenex.com/

jderouen

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Nintenex

Are you also implying that vB5 products aren't as good as older versions yet? just curious because i I heard that somewhere.

____

You have permission to see my forum, I leave it in my signature. I'm on cloud right but im transferring to vB5soonish https://www.nintenex.com/

jderouen
                  It's not about that, it's about cautioning people against upgrading for no reason.

The number of people we get who rush into upgrades, no testing, no backup, and then something their site depended on isn't available and they didn't realise. Commonly..."where has my custom style gone?", "Where have my add-ons gone?" etc.

There are also legacy features in vB4 that were removed in vB5. It's a very different product, and it wont automatically suit everyone - which is true of any major upgrade to any software.

Paul's question is one anyone considering an upgrade form vB4, or vB3, should ask:

"What issues are you having with vB4?" - if the answer is "None", why are you upgrading? "To get the latest version" - bad reason. Don't do it.

Another one to ask is "What features in vB5 do you need, that aren't in vB4?" - now, there are quite a few such features, so that may be a valid reason to upgrade. But again, all too often, the answer is something like "there aren't any, I just want the latest version" or "I need more security so I want the latest version". And even "My host told me I've got to because I'm not allowed to run older scripts on their server". All of these are terrible reasons to upgrade.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• Nintenex
                    • Oct 2016
                    • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

It's not about that, it's about cautioning people against upgrading for no reason.

The number of people we get who rush into upgrades, no testing, no backup, and then something their site depended on isn't available and they didn't realise. Commonly..."where has my custom style gone?", "Where have my add-ons gone?" etc.

There are also legacy features in vB4 that were removed in vB5. It's a very different product, and it wont automatically suit everyone - which is true of any major upgrade to any software.

Paul's question is one anyone considering an upgrade form vB4, or vB3, should ask:

"What issues are you having with vB4?" - if the answer is "None", why are you upgrading? "To get the latest version" - bad reason. Don't do it.

Another one to ask is "What features in vB5 do you need, that aren't in vB4?" - now, there are quite a few such features, so that may be a valid reason to upgrade. But again, all too often, the answer is something like "there aren't any, I just want the latest version" or "I need more security so I want the latest version". And even "My host told me I've got to because I'm not allowed to run older scripts on their server". All of these are terrible reasons to upgrade.
                    Ah, Thanks for explaining this to me it makes sense. However!.. I plan on transferring my entire site from cloud aswell, Im hoping to not go through similar issues where features i had on cloud are gone and my custom designs i had are gone.

Will i be able to further edit the site the way i want? as a creative individual this is important to me. I cant edit much on cloud unfortunately. Will i need to

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Ah, Thanks for explaining this to me it makes sense. However!.. I plan on transferring my entire site from cloud aswell, Im hoping to not go through similar issues where features i had on cloud are gone and my custom designs i had are gone.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...uestioning-vb5
                      That will be vB5 to vB5 so you won't lose anything. It isn't an upgrade, just a platform transfer, in essence no different to a server move.

You will gain access to things like addons, template hooks and template editing that you don't get on cloud.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

I'm not implying anything, Im giving you the facts.
                        If you upgrade from vB4 to vB5, you will lose all customisations, both code & style.
                        You will also lose quite a few bits of functionality that exists in vB4, but not in vB5 (you will also gain some bits from vB5, not in vB4).

So to repeat - ask yourself the question, why do you want to ?
                        You will lose features and customisations, and gain some new features - do those gains outweigh the loses.

(This applies to any software upgrade, not just vB4 > vB5).
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• gregory64
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 4.2.x

Here is my forum (currently 5.2.5) which you can see as an example:

Midlife Dating Forum on midlifebachelor.com

In December 2016, I migrated my forum from vB 4.2.2 to 5.2.5. I created a thread here that describes my reasoning for doing so, and reviews some of the issues I encountered while making the decision as well as during the implementation:

Migration of Customized 4.2.2 Forum to Standard 5.2.5?

Hope that was helpful to you ... !

Comment