• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Matthews
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.1.x

Purchasing vb5 upgrade questions

Hi guys
    I am currently on 4.2.4 Beta 3 and would like to upgrade to the newest vb5 Connect software with Mobile suite.
    I am hoping someone can answer a few questions for me.

What exactly is the mobile suite bundle?
    If it is a mobile app how do my members get and use it.
    I see nothing on the app store apart from a vbulletin app solely to view this site.
    What am I missing?

Would I be correct in assuming that I should remove all add-ons and modifications from my current forum before attempting an upgrade?
    Are there any pitfalls that may not be obvious?

Thanks for any replies and a Merry Christmas to everyone on the vb team.
    Regards
    Trevor
  • Trevor Matthews
    • Oct 2010
    • 4.1.x

And I am not able to purchase the upgrade either.
    I keep getting the message below during the checkout process.
    Any idea what the problem is guys?

PayPal gateway has rejected request. The totals of the cart item amounts do not match order amounts (#10413: Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details).
    Regards
    Trevor

Comment

• IggyP
      • Mar 2012

i have the mobile suite also but havent tried to use it lately...used to be super buggy years ago, never tried again....im not sure what advantage it is over responsive either?
      my understanding is the app would be listed as an app for your site, not for vbulletin...true vb4 products will not be compatible at all...check to see if by chance any are "upgradable"...but im not sure how many of those there are as not much 3rd party work has been done with vb5...

i am currently working on a vb3 to vb4 upgrade and one safety route we are taking is to strip everything back to ensure the new database is clean(sometimes products may not uninstall ideally)...
      this basically means making a few test sites....starting with a default new vb5 install>> clean with no products, hacks, modifications etc, then importing table data from a "traditionally upgraded" vb4 to vb5...

i think its probly overkill approach for alot of ppl but could avoid odd issues in future..have fun happy holidays

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

In the App Store search for: vBulletin Community Forum and that will the app to view this forum.

The Mobile Suite is a set of iOS and Android apps that connect to your forum and allow your users to access the site via an app on their phone rather than via the web browser on their phone. It gives your site a presence in the app stores.

There are some important things to note:

1.) It does not yet work with Articles. Just forums and blog posts.
        2) You mus have your own Google Android and Apple iOS developer accounts require payments to Google and Apple respectively. At last I checked Google is a $25 on time fee and Apple is $99 a year, both of course subject to change and out of our control.
        3) To complete the submission of the Apple iOS app you need access to an Apple Mac computer running a recent version of OSX.

You need not upload both versions, if you only wanted to do the Android version for example, you can.

What you will get is the ability to customize the colors and logos of the app, otherwise it will look and act very much like the vBulletin Community Forum app you should try before you buy.

It should be noted while many Admins like having an App Store presence the "necessity" has fallen since VB5 does have a responsive design that will work in mobile browsers with a consistent interface rather than VB4's rather bare bones mobile style.

Also, the Mobile Suite can work with any current version of the software, latest versions of 3.x, 4.x, or 5.x, but it is "married" to the license you originally purchase it for so you can't transfer it separately latter.

Further, because I checked your forum, be aware during the initial setup phase of the app there must be at least one public forum with at least one public tread or topic. Once the app has been setup these can be hidden again.

Finally, you mus be committed to keeping the forum software up to date. Often changes to the mobile API require you update your forum software version before updating the mobile suite version.

----

And one more thing,,,, Apple is about to require any sites using the app to be accessible via HTTPS so you will need to migrate you'll want to migrate your site to https first if you intend to use the Apple iOS app. No word if this will become a requirement for Google but it might.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Trevor Matthews
          And I am not able to purchase the upgrade either.
          I keep getting the message below during the checkout process.
          Any idea what the problem is guys?
          Thanks, I will make note for our developers to take a look. In the mean time can you please try with a different browser?

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
            • Oct 2010
            • 4.1.x

Hi

Many thanks for the detailed replies.
            That has changed things a bit.
            I will not purchase the mobile suite.

There is a public forum and public threads on the site as well so that should be fine then.
            Regards
            Trevor

Comment

• Trevor Matthews
              • Oct 2010
              • 4.1.x

I managed to checkout with IE but it doesn't work with Firefox.
              Regards
              Trevor

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Thank You,

Our developers believe it was a temporary issue, they confirmed your order did go through, they do not believe anyone else should have the issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...