• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moolio
    • Nov 2016
    • 5.2.x

Automatic group permissions for new users

Greetings to everybody!
    I'm looking for ability to use custom fields at registration form to assing the appropriate basic permissions for new users.
    For expl:
    1. I have a list of interests (PC, Cooking, Games etc. and Common)
    2. I have different forum groups with the same names (PC, Cooking, Games etc. and Common)
    3. User choose interest from the list during registration and automatically has access only for choosen forum group and for Common.
    4. Being logged in the user should automatically see it's "home" group (without any navigation clicks)

Is this possible in basic functionality?
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

You can set custom fields in the way requested, but there's no way to automatically tie these into forum permissions, it is something that would need to be handled manually afterwards.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• moolio
      • Nov 2016
      • 5.2.x

Thanks!
      Is it possible to realize described functionality and how much would it cost?

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

Yes, you could do it with a bespoke modification (Plugin), we cannot give you a cost as this isnt a service IB provide.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• moolio
          • Nov 2016
          • 5.2.x

What should I do?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

You will need to purchase a license first then install this and either:

- work on that functionality yourself or
            - pay for a third party to do this for you

Plugins and custom code are not provided and/or supported by us
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• moolio
              • Nov 2016
              • 5.2.x

I can't purchase the license untill I see a demo of working functionality because of risk that it will non work propertly.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

It is very unlikely you will find a developer with their own VB5 license who would do all the word needed without any guarantee you would even pay them for the work being done for you. Without a VB license of your own you would need to search 3rd party websites, only license holders can post in the Paid Requests forum on www.vbulletin.org.

Comment

• moolio
                  • Nov 2016
                  • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Joe D.
                  It is very unlikely you will find a developer with their own VB5 license who would do all the word needed without any guarantee you would even pay them for the work being done for you.
                  It's true. I agree that Internet itself is a very untrustable space. So I'm ready to make pre-payment to a 3dr party system that will unite me and the developer with a deal: I place my request and make full payment, money accepted by ne system, the developer make the job, I accept it, the developer recieve it's payment from the system. Bingo.

P.S.: does the code of VB5 open that anybody with programming skills able to make changes in any way?

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by moolio

It's true. I agree that Internet itself is a very untrustable space. So I'm ready to make pre-payment to a 3dr party system that will unite me and the developer with a deal: I place my request and make full payment, money accepted by ne system, the developer make the job, I accept it, the developer recieve it's payment from the system. Bingo.

P.S.: does the code of VB5 open that anybody with programming skills able to make changes in any way?
                    vBulletin is "visible source" which means that all the files are unencrypted and you can see all the code. You can make any changes to them that you need to. It's worth remembering that any such code changes are unsupported, and with fairly frequent maintenance releases in vB5, edited files will need re-editing with every upgrade. vBulletin is written in php and uses a MySQL database, so in theory anyone with php skills can write code, but the reality is that you need someone who is familiar with vBulletin's architecture.

If you're planning to make code changes to the system, you are probably much better off looking at vB4 rather than vB5. vB4 has a comprehensive system of php hooks which in most cases will remove the need to manually edit the files (though you still can if you need to). With vB4, you are also much more likely to find third party coders with the required skills to write the code you need. There are not all that many third party coders around for vB5.

We do have online short term demos available of both vB4 and vB5, obviously you don't get to see the code in the demo but it does show you what the core functionality is like:

vB4 Demo: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb4-trial/
                    vB5 Demo: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/

For your requirements though, it really needs to be vB4. You stand a good chance of finding someone who can write the code you need. vB5, less so.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• moolio
                      • Nov 2016
                      • 5.2.x

Greatly thanks!
                      Now it's all clear.
                      *went to search for php5 programmer

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 5.7.X

moolio I think I can do this for you in vB5 without modifying existing template or PHP code. PM me if you are interested.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...