X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AnatoliyOFF
    • Jun 2015
    • 5.2.x

VB4 to VB5 questions

I use VB for 10 years and now I'm facing the "soft 404" problem of VB4. During this years hundreds of topics were deleted (spam, flame etc). Now I see in google webmsters tools hundreds of soft 404 pages. And I can see what it did to my forum position in search results, to my traffic, to my revenue. I understand that there is no way to solve this "soft 404" problem using VB4, that's why I'm thinking to upgrade to VB5.

Please confirm, that Vb5 gives 404 code for deleted threads (not 200 as VB4). Also, as VB5 has different structure of SEO links, I need to know if it has some built in way of correctly informing google about all the urls changes so I will not loose all those pages that are reach high position in google search results over 10 years, but will forward their values to their new urls.
    Oregon Fishing Forum
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

vBulletin 5 returns a 403 error on soft-deleted threads that guests no longer have permission to view. It returns a 404 error on invalid URLs as if a thread is permanently deleted.

You can build a Sitemap XML file and submit it to the major search engines in the AdminCP. This is also linked in the HTML <head> tag for bots to follow. This is how you would submit a large number of page changes to your site. This function exists in vBulletin 4 as well. In addition to this, vBulletin 5 will redirect standard Friendly URLs to the new vBulletin 5 node automatically and inform the search engine bot that the URL has moved. We do not support vBSEO URLs on any format. If you're using vBSEO, you'll need to uninstall it, convert to standard vBulletin 4 Friendly URLs, wait for the search engines to update (usually takes 4-8 weeks) and then upgrade to vBulletin 5. You should also proactively have any incoming links changed to the new URL format.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
      • Jun 2015
      • 5.2.x

Thank you for your prompt response, Wayne Luke.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      vBulletin 5 returns a 403 error on soft-deleted threads that guests no longer have permission to view. It returns a 404 error on invalid URLs as if a thread is permanently deleted.
      Great! What about lost attachments? Does attachment.php?attachmentid=xxxx in VB5 returns 404 error, if that attachment is lost?

You can build a Sitemap XML file and submit it to the major search engines in the AdminCP. This is also linked in the HTML <head> tag for bots to follow. This is how you would submit a large number of page changes to your site. This function exists in vBulletin 4 as well. In addition to this, vBulletin 5 will redirect standard Friendly URLs to the new vBulletin 5 node automatically and inform the search engine bot that the URL has moved. We do not support vBSEO URLs on any format. If you're using vBSEO, you'll need to uninstall it, convert to standard vBulletin 4 Friendly URLs, wait for the search engines to update (usually takes 4-8 weeks) and then upgrade to vBulletin 5. You should also proactively have any incoming links changed to the new URL format.
      I don't use vBSEO. I used it, but about 5 years ago I turned it off and use the built in VB friendly urls. Here is an example of a subforum url http://www.oregonfishingforum.com/fo...hing-in-Oregon . Please confirm, that vb5 will handle urls change in "google friendly way" and I will not loose traffic because of mass urls changes. I really can't afford it.
      Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

During the upgrade, vBulletin will create a redirect table and redirect your old URLs to the new ones with a 301 redirect.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
          • Jun 2015
          • 5.2.x

During the upgrade, vBulletin will create a redirect table and redirect your old URLs to the new ones with a 301 redirect.
          Perfect!
          I saw the info that I ican use 72 hours test so I'm going to try it out. I still have some questions. First one is aboout mobile suite (or how you call it). I baught it for vb4 some time ago. Will it work with vb5 or I should buy it for VB5? Second one is about skins & plugins. Do you have official, that you support or they are at vb.org like with vb4?
          Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Mobile suite works for both versions...you don't need to buy it again if you upgrade your license to vB5.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
              • Jun 2015
              • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
              Mobile suite works for both versions...you don't need to buy it again if you upgrade your license to vB5.
              great! I'm trying a trial version and so far I like it a lot. Do you have some kind of step by step tutorial for those who upgrade from vb4 to vb5, explaining what should be configured and how? Right now I'm interested with a slider. Is it possible that each subforum shows in a slider it's own featured topics (from this subforum only) and not the same 5 at all subforums. And if yes, how to configure it?
              Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
                • Jun 2015
                • 5.2.x

And also will my members still be able to use Tapatalk?
                Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by AnatoliyOFF
                  And also will my members still be able to use Tapatalk?
                  Tapatalk appears to have a vBulletin 5 product that can be used. We don't provide explicit support for their product though. You will need to contact them directly about vBulletin 5 support.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
                    • Jun 2015
                    • 5.2.x

So how do I proceed? Where to pay? )
                    Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• Mike Lee
                      • Sep 2013
                      • 5.2.x

I didn't think you could upgrade from 4 to 5 without starting over with a complete new SQL database. Has something changed?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Mike Lee
                        I didn't think you could upgrade from 4 to 5 without starting over with a complete new SQL database. Has something changed?
                        No, you have never needed a new database. If you did, you would lose all your existing content.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

So how do I proceed? Where to pay? )
                          You can buy the upgrade at www.vbulletin.com/purchases, or email [email protected].
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• AnatoliyOFF
                            • Jun 2015
                            • 5.2.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            You can buy the upgrade at www.vbulletin.com/purchases, or email [email protected].
                            Done.
                            Please let me know how to delete that trial account that was created for me? It shows my real email address insted of username. I don't like it a looot. It should be deleted immidietly.
                            Oregon Fishing Forum

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Done.
                              Please let me know how to delete that trial account that was created for me? It shows my real email address insted of username. I don't like it a looot. It should be deleted immidietly.
                              They expire after a couple of days so it will disappear. Nobody else knows the URL anyhow.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment