• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jennifersjen
    • May 2016
    • 5.2.x

Help the newbie out - general admin questions

Hi all -

I've been a vBulletin user for years but have never set up a forum myself.

The group I'm looking to set up is:

- About 200 members, with probably no more than 10 or so online at the same time. Maybe some peaks of 20-30 at once at certain times of year but very rarely.
    - They'll be using light message board functionality, and also wanting to post documents that other members can reference - mostly Word and ppt docs, some pdfs
    - Some user group permissions required for sub-groups

My questions -
    - Would you say that VB is an appropriate forum for this? Why or why not? If not, what do you recommend?
    - I'd be using the Cloud version - would Bronze be sufficient given the light traffic?
    - I realize that I need to purchase the domain name and see that there are a ton of posts about the best host that I'll need to sift through - other than the domain host and VB, is there anything else I need to purchase (trying to get an idea of true monthly costs)?
    - I'm a quick study and generally good with system configuration and admin but am definitely not a programmer. How difficult is it to set up a forum?

Thanks for your help!
    Jen
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Well going backwards. if using vBCloud, there is not much you need to worry about. Setting up the forum is mostly a matter of adding additional forums to the site and arranging them as you see fit, and setting permissions for your users.

vBCloud (if you pay monthly) will be your only monthly cost. Domain registrations from a company like GoDaddy are usually paid yearly. You do not purchase hosting with vBCloud, hosting is part of the vBCloud package.

Bronze would seem sufficient, the main question would be, if uploading documents to vBCloud, how large are your PDFs, Word, and PowerPoint documents in general (in terms of file size / megabytes) and what are your largest files in megabytes? I believe the hard-cap on file size is currently 15 megabytes but ideally you are well below that limit.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...