Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why everyone is degrading vb5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why everyone is degrading vb5?

    I have seen many people saying that vb5 is of no use and it is not a good software as compared to Xenforo. Why is this happening? I know that vb4 was a leading software, but why vb5 is not successful? Yesterday I posted on a forum and people started joking that how come you are using vb5. Is it just a technique to make xenforo more popular?
    I have spent $250 and I believe I have spent it on right software. Before vb I bought xenforo and sold it because I was not satisfied with that.
    Best Web Hosting – SSD Powered Web Hosting with Unlimited Bandwidth $2.95/m
    Domain Names - .Com Domains for $8.95 – Register, Renewal & Transfer

  • #2
    its just still growing into itself so far....very buggy, lacking basic functions that are halfway built in and such...its getting there tho and when it does become more stable and functional idk what else would be able to touch it...

    the company has rightly opened itself up to many legit criticism, but when i looked all said and done at the end of the day if you want the most powerful software seems like its this by kind of a long shot...

    Comment


    • #3
      Most people with gripes against VB5 remember it from the weeks and months after its initial release. This site was converted over while it was still in Beta which also didn't help. The software is vastly improved since its initial release- even its critics, if honest, will admit that.

      Comment


      • #4
        i bought vB5 three years ago, and it was total garbage. nothing worked, and features they advertised that was supposed to set it apart were missing altogether. in my opinion, the public shouldnt have even known it existed until about a year ago. after vB5 was released, developers and programmers started dropping like flies....like rats leaving a sinking ship. those of us who bought the software were told there were no refunds....giving the impression that we had just been duped to handing over a not insignificant amount of money to a scam artist, and in the meantime, many forum communities died....including mine, and the staff at vB acted pretty much like they didnt really care....or were afraid to

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rhens View Post
          i bought vB5 three years ago, and it was total garbage. nothing worked, and features they advertised that was supposed to set it apart were missing altogether. in my opinion, the public shouldnt have even known it existed until about a year ago. after vB5 was released, developers and programmers started dropping like flies....like rats leaving a sinking ship. those of us who bought the software were told there were no refunds....giving the impression that we had just been duped to handing over a not insignificant amount of money to a scam artist, and in the meantime, many forum communities died....including mine, and the staff at vB acted pretty much like they didnt really care....or were afraid to
          I assure you the staff cared. It was extremely frustrating for all of us. As support staff we don''t have the ability to rewrite the code the fix bugs on demand, the process takes time- and I know that's not what you want to hear when your forum is barely functional, but it was the truth and all we could do most of the time was wait.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe D. View Post

            I assure you the staff cared. It was extremely frustrating for all of us. As support staff we don''t have the ability to rewrite the code the fix bugs on demand, the process takes time- and I know that's not what you want to hear when your forum is barely functional, but it was the truth and all we could do most of the time was wait.
            the internet doesnt want to hear "it takes time"....and from what i know of you and the others who survived this mess....i know you cared, which is likely the main reason why i am still here....and still care. internet brands put you between a rock and a hard place, then left you twisting in the wind to take the brunt of the dissatisfaction. i have no doubts vB5 will be a good platform to use, and is probably ready to use today, but my point was that they should have kept a lid on it until it was at least functional

            Comment


            • #7
              I think much of the bad press is from people who either upgraded for the sake of upgrading without understanding the changes, and/or people who haven't done due diligence and testing when upgrading. To be fair, vb 5.0 wasn't even close to ready for release, and in my opinion wasn't until vb 5.1. Proper upgrade planning and testing would have reveled this to site owners who were upgrading. vb5 also turned the world upside down for developers which meant a great deal of rework and relearning. Judging from the number of hacks for vb5, it appears most developers chose to jump ship instead.

              I have finally scheduled an upgrade for our site from 4.2.3 to 5.2.1 for the end of April for which planning and testing started last July. Our compelling reasons for upgrading are the responsive design and that VBAdvanced is no longer supported. I've been through at least a dozen trial upgrades on our development site and have spent countless hours on the style and testing every single function with test users under every profile we have. This is how it things are done in a professional IT environment vs slam in an upgrade and hope for the best. If you choose the latter you deserve what you get, and don't whine about it.

              vb5.2.1 isn't perfect either. I still have 6 outstanding issues for our site upgrade, but none of them are significant enough to delay to delay the upgrade. I'm sure we'll find other issues after the upgrade, and they'll each be addressed as necessary. If I blow up the site and can't recover, that's my fault, not the fault of VB.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by twistsol View Post
                I think much of the bad press is from people who either upgraded for the sake of upgrading without understanding the changes, and/or people who haven't done due diligence and testing when upgrading. To be fair, vb 5.0 wasn't even close to ready for release, and in my opinion wasn't until vb 5.1. Proper upgrade planning and testing would have reveled this to site owners who were upgrading. vb5 also turned the world upside down for developers which meant a great deal of rework and relearning. Judging from the number of hacks for vb5, it appears most developers chose to jump ship instead.

                I have finally scheduled an upgrade for our site from 4.2.3 to 5.2.1 for the end of April for which planning and testing started last July. Our compelling reasons for upgrading are the responsive design and that VBAdvanced is no longer supported. I've been through at least a dozen trial upgrades on our development site and have spent countless hours on the style and testing every single function with test users under every profile we have. This is how it things are done in a professional IT environment vs slam in an upgrade and hope for the best. If you choose the latter you deserve what you get, and don't whine about it.

                vb5.2.1 isn't perfect either. I still have 6 outstanding issues for our site upgrade, but none of them are significant enough to delay to delay the upgrade. I'm sure we'll find other issues after the upgrade, and they'll each be addressed as necessary. If I blow up the site and can't recover, that's my fault, not the fault of VB.
                That's right. For those who are upgrading they should take care of the stuff and understand that this can be a big change.
                But honestly, rhens is right. VB should offer refund like within 7 days or something.
                Best Web Hosting – SSD Powered Web Hosting with Unlimited Bandwidth $2.95/m
                Domain Names - .Com Domains for $8.95 – Register, Renewal & Transfer

                Comment


                • Neal-UK
                  Neal-UK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can get a refund if you really wanted to even if a business states no refunds. Just contact your bank or credit card company.

              • #9
                Originally posted by Taim View Post

                VB should offer refund like within 7 days or something.
                I agree that the sales policy is draconian. Had I not inherited a VB3 site, the policy that there is no way to evaluate the software without buying it and having no recourse, would have had me moving on to other vendors.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Taim View Post

                  VB should offer refund like within 7 days or something.
                  I disagree, a lot of people would take advantage of the refund and still run the software. It would be more or less like just posting the code for anyone to download.


                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Replicant View Post

                    I disagree, a lot of people would take advantage of the refund and still run the software. It would be more or less like just posting the code for anyone to download.
                    A simple search shows multiple sites where that is already possible. Software will be stolen; that is sadly a fact of life. I don't believe that fact justifies the assumption that all customers and potential customers are thieves.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by twistsol View Post

                      A simple search shows multiple sites where that is already possible. Software will be stolen; that is sadly a fact of life. I don't believe that fact justifies the assumption that all customers and potential customers are thieves.

                      I didn't say all customers, I said a lot, and as far as the freely availabile scripts go, they will typically come with modifications or easter eggs for malware and spyware added. Those sites hosting pirated versions are getting something in return for their pirating of the software. A clean copy is probably not going to be found. Software companies have to protect their assets and freely giving out refunds for usually uninformed or incompetent buyers would be the opposite of that. No insult to anyone intended (I was one of them), but try getting money back from Microsoft or Apple after the product is downloaded. Not going to happen. People simply don't do research before purchasing a product and that puts the fault on them. There is plenty of information available for a person to make an informed purchase of a product based on feedback from other users. Google has the info, they just have to ask for it. I have since learned to use the software and work around the limitations or bugs and my site is doing fine. I was dissatisfied when I first installed vb5. I gave it a year and have long since passed that deadline and I can confidently say that vb5 is stable and usable. Most of the issues I see coming across the forums are caused by the user, modifications by the user (which was my case), and or their inability or lack of following instructions either in the manual or advice given by support. VB5 IMO has Xenforo beat hands down in all aspects. I demoed Xenforo for about an hour before I had enough and decided vb5 was the better choice. The only gripe I have on vb5 is the responsive mobile interface and the albums features needs work. Other than that, I'm fully satisfied.


                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Replicant View Post


                        and the albums features needs work.
                        oh god....yes pls pls....pls pls pls....fix this...or even tell me when its a plan too, i still dont even see it working its way out of jira backlog yet and theres around 6 issues highly important around it...

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Replicant View Post

                          Those sites hosting pirated versions are getting something in return for their pirating of the software. A clean copy is probably not going to be found. Software companies have to protect their assets and freely giving out refunds for usually uninformed or incompetent buyers would be the opposite of that. No insult to anyone intended (I was one of them), but try getting money back from Microsoft or Apple after the product is downloaded.
                          I agree, if you download pirated software and it has been loaded with malware etc., you get what you deserve. I too have a number of apps that I've purchased that didn't meet my requirements. While getting a refund for those from Microsoft or Apple, or any other software company is unlikely, they usually have either fully functional demo versions that expire, or that have some limitations on features. This would be more difficult to accomplish for a product like vBulletin where the source code is provided.

                          I also agree, that those purchasing licenses without doing their due diligence should have been more careful. The policy is clearly stated during the purchase. That said, the price of vBulletin is not insignificant to most people. Couple that with the fact that many of the features advertised with the initial release of vb5 just plain didn't work, refunds may have been in order. It is very difficult to evaluate a product using web reviews as there will be reviews ranging from this is the best product ever to the worst piece of crap ever written.

                          At least with a new vb5 license, you also had access to the fully function vb3 and vb4.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                            Most people with gripes against VB5 remember it from the weeks and months after its initial release. This site was converted over while it was still in Beta which also didn't help. The software is vastly improved since its initial release- even its critics, if honest, will admit that.

                            5.2.1 is actually not too bad. A few years late, but not bad.

                            (I've had VB licenses from day 1 ... when it was in beta).

                            Comment

                            Related Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X