Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beermonster
    • Mar 2004

Vbulletin 5, is it worth it?

I've been using VB for many years, the last install I used was VB4 then I moved to Xenforo which is a good bit of software but I don't know if I want to use it on a new forum I'm starting, is VB5 much better than VB4? should I just stick with my VB4 licence or upgrade? of not get another xenforo licence?

I know asking this question on the VB forum I'm going to get a bias answer, xenforo is cheaper but will I get more for my money?
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Beermonster
    I've been using VB for many years, the last install I used was VB4 then I moved to Xenforo which is a good bit of software but I don't know if I want to use it on a new forum I'm starting, is VB5 much better than VB4? should I just stick with my VB4 licence or upgrade? of not get another xenforo licence?

I know asking this question on the VB forum I'm going to get a bias answer, xenforo is cheaper but will I get more for my money?
    If you can get a good style/theme for vb5 it's definitely worth it.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Replicant
      • Sep 2014

Stick with vb4 if you already have the license. VB5 has come a long way, but VB4 is still the most stable IMO. I run VB5 on my forum and have very few issues or complaints. You can just do more with vB4.

Comment

• Beermonster
        • Mar 2004

After doing a bit of research I think I will stick with VB4, the development seems very slow of VB5.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
          • Jul 2014
          • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Beermonster
          After doing a bit of research I think I will stick with VB4, the development seems very slow of VB5.

I have to admit there isn't much development at all with vb5. There hasn't even been a new feature since 5.1.5

The past 3 releases have been responsive updates and if that's not slow then I don't know what is. Customers don't pay money to see a product babied like this along releases. We want to see new features and big improvements.

I can say that I am a fan of vb5 but cannot agree with it's slow progress in the least.
          "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud

I have to admit there isn't much development at all with vb5. There hasn't even been a new feature since 5.1.5
            That is an inaccurate statement. Off the top of my head in 5.1.8 there are now green arrows showing which threads you posted in and in 5.1.7 there was an option added to hide modules based on the screen size. There were more as well, this is just what I can remember without going back to check.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
              • Jul 2014
              • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Joe D.

That is an inaccurate statement. Off the top of my head in 5.1.8 there are now green arrows showing which threads you posted in and in 5.1.7 there was an option added to hide modules based on the screen size. There were more as well, this is just what I can remember without going back to check.
              I agree. Your right, that was a generalized statement. There have been several small updates. And however small I know a lot of people found that to be very important and were happy with the outcome, as was I. At the same time, I say this because each release is 2 months apart on average. It would be nice to see more features. For example, the content slider in 5.1.5 and forum statistics was the best add-on I had seen yet in the system.

I'm sorry if I made such a wide statement.

I do believe bug fixes and responsive issues are very important, especially to other customers.

But a lot of us I know are looking to see features that the user-base will care about the most. One example is a hook system for modifications. Another example is ajax threads for instance. Also trophy systems with the option to toggle on/off are starting to become the standard with large communities. Maybe I'm a little bias on this one but users want to see incentives with their postings.

I realize the only way any of these things can become a reality is if I make an improvement request in the tracker.

If my customer opinion has any affect on your teams hard work, I want to say there really does need to be more improvements to the core software.

VB5 is a great product, and I still promote it 100%. With that said, we still need to see improvements that go above and beyond the standard.

In other words, features that relate to the core software seem overall important for a software this far long. Vbulletin 4 only made it to 4.2.3

Vbulletin 5 is now at 5.1.8

Not sure how many releases will succeed vb4 but I'm just trying to give my best advice.

Thank you Joe.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

It really depends on the endgame you have in mind for your new forum. I have and use both vB4 and vB5.

Which part of the software is most important to you? The forums? Or the articles, blogs, advertisements, calendar, custom modules, custom pages, etc?

You can always upgrade from 4.x to 5.x but you'll play hell trying to downgrade from 5.x to 4.x.

If themes are your concern there are a few very good theme developers who can convert themes for you for a fee.

No one can tell you which option to choose because only you know what you ultimately want out of your forum.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

If you are starting a new forum then go with vB5.

5.1.8 is a good, solid release and further releases are in the pipeline.

I have a demo site which anyone is welcome to have a look around:

It's designed to mimic what you might find in a "real world" forum, as far as possible.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment