What is my best upgrade path? (From 3.5.1 to what?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeSD
    • Jun 2015
    • 3.5.x

What is my best upgrade path? (From 3.5.1 to what?)

I have 4 sites, using vBulletin. I wish to upgrade one of my sites. But I do NOT want to lose any of the threads. That site is currently at 3.5.1. So, that being the case

1) What is the best package to upgrade to, that requires the least amount of work, and preserves the existing threads and forums?

And by "least amount of work" I mean, I don't want to have to go through incrementally labor intensive steps of doing all the intermediate updates.

Is there one package, that I can install, that will import all the forums and threads, in one operation, from version 3.5.1?

• Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

All versions of vBulletin you upgrade to, will preserve all of your current content (users, posts, threads, forums, etc). At least the default vBulletin data, not including custom data from addons. You can upgrade directly to any of the versions listed below, the upgrader will take care of the inbetween steps. You just have to let the upgrade run.

I would suggest upgrading to at least 3.8.9 if you want to maintain your current style/templates. This will be the least amount of work. Addons should continue to work, more or less.
    4.2.4 would also be good, you'll need to figure out a new style and your addons will need to be updated too.
    5.x is a massive change. You'll need to spend time prepping your community before the upgrade as it is a large interface and style change as well as UX change. But there are customers who like and prefer vBulletin 5 over other versions.

Really you should test which one you like the most.

Comment

• MikeSD
      • Jun 2015
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
      All versions of vBulletin you upgrade to, will preserve all of your current content (users, posts, threads, forums, etc). At least the default vBulletin data, not including custom data from addons. You can upgrade directly to any of the versions listed below, the upgrader will take care of the inbetween steps. You just have to let the upgrade run.

I would suggest upgrading to at least 3.8.9 if you want to maintain your current style/templates. This will be the least amount of work. Addons should continue to work, more or less.
      4.2.4 would also be good, you'll need to figure out a new style and your addons will need to be updated too.
      5.x is a massive change. You'll need to spend time prepping your community before the upgrade as it is a large interface and style change as well as UX change. But there are customers who like and prefer vBulletin 5 over other versions.

Really you should test which one you like the most.

My only real concern is the threads, forums and registrations. Addons I can just start over, even if it means giving up something I had before. I don't mind if I lose all my styles and such. I just want to maintain the structure of the fourms (forum titles, groupings, registrations, and threads. Can that be done, by going from 3.5.1 to 5.x? I mean, what would I have left, if I just went directly to 5.x?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

All of your core content: users, forums, threads, posts, etc will always be carried over in upgrades.

Comment

• cellarius
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MikeSD
          Addons I can just start over,
          Just be aware that there are practically no addons for vB5.

Comment

• AusPhotography
            • Nov 2007

4.2.3 is going to be your best option.

vB5 you will lose functionality at this stage
            environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
            Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

If you want to stay on vB3, go for 3.8.9, If you want to upgrade, go for 4.2.3.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• MikeSD
                • Jun 2015
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                If you want to stay on vB3, go for 3.8.9, If you want to upgrade, go for 4.2.3.
                Ok thanks. I'm probably going to upgrade from 3.5.1 to 3.8.9, this weekend. No real reason to do it. My 3.5.1 is working well enough, but might as well get it upgraded to at least 3.8.9.

However, is it worth the effort to upgrade from 3.5.1 to 3.8.9? Is there much difference to make it worthwhile?

Thanks,

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

PHP 5.6 compatibility support is a huge reason.

Comment

• MikeSD
                    • Jun 2015
                    • 3.5.x

Followup questions:

Understanding vBulletin licensing

I have four "owned copies" that are currently registered with four different domains, all of different versions. Two of my domains, that DID have vBulletin on them, have been lost or shut down, so those licenses are unused.

License 1: vBulletin 3.5.1, clicking download shows 3.6.2
                    License 2: vBulletin NOT installed now, clicking download shows 3.6.5
                    License 3: running vBulletin 3.6.8, clicking download shows 3.6.8 Patch Level 2
                    License 4: licensed vBulletin v4.x but NOT installed right now, clicking download shows 3.8.9
                    License 4: also shows I can download v 4.2.3

vB 3.6.2 is for msdsite
                    vB 3.6.5 is for ArrowCache
                    vB 3.6.8 Level 2 Patch is for RetroPCDesign
                    vB 3.8.9 is for ipscone
                    vB 4.2.3 is for ipscone

Questions:
                    1) Each of these show that 3.8.9 is available. But does this download option mean that is the ONLY version I can download without a fee?
                    Ex: License 1 to 3.6.2 (only), License 2 to 3.6.5 only, License 4 to 3.8.9 or 4.2.3 only? Or can all be upgraded to 3.8.9 without a fee.

2) Can my version 3.5.1 be upgraded to 3.8.9 without a fee? Or am I stuck at only going to 3.6.2?

3) I know that the domain associated with these can be changed. Since I'm not using two of my licenses, currently, I assume that means, that if I prefer, I can just change the domain to the higher license. Right?

4) Since there was a license associated with each of my downloads, and there is a license associated with my current installs, if I use my 3.8.9 license, on my License 1 site, or rather upgrade my 3.5.1 (license 1 site) with 3.8.9 (license 4), will there be an install problem. I would correct the license # and make the appropriate changes on my registration data, to conform with terms. Just wondering if I will have some install issue?

Summary of what I'd like to do:

I have a currently "not being used" vBulletin 3.8.9 update on one of my sites and I'd like to swap it with my version that is on a site that I am using. Then, make the changes on the vBulletin registration area. What is the best way to proceed with upgrading a site with one license, with an update that is a different license?

PS: Where is the license # stored on my site. Couldn't I just change that to match the new update license?
                    Last edited by MikeSD; Sat 4 Jul '15, 9:25am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

If you have old-style "owned" licenses, these will have expired. That older licensing system enabled you to run the software for life, but only versions that were current at the time the license was still current.
                      Some of these licenses therefore had access to early versions of vB4, however do not upgrade to those versions as they are now very old.
                      Most though only had access to vB3, and then only to the version that was current at the time.

For all such licenses, you can now buy an "upgrade pack" for $149, this will convert the license into a newer-style license with lifetime upgrade access, but only as far as the vB4 line (no vB5 access). This is what you need to do for those "expired" licenses, whether you want 3.8.9 or 4.2.3.
                      Don;'t upgrade to any older versions than those, as you will encounter security issues, php compatibility problems and other undesirable results.

If you'd like to clarify the situation on specific licenses, drop an email to [email protected] with the license numbers and sales will advise specifically. Make sure you tell them you are looking for vB3 and vB4, NOT vB5.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MikeSD
                        • Jun 2015
                        • 3.5.x

That doesn't even makes sense to me. If I "own" my license (Owned License), how can it expire? I should be able to run those licenses I bought, forever. Further, my member site, allows me NOW (still) to download specific versions, for my "owned" license. Why would the vBulletin system allow me to download an update, if they don't work?

And since I have an "owned" license for 3.8.9 or 4.2.3, I should be able to put it on any of my sites.

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MikeSD
                          That doesn't even makes sense to me. If I "own" my license (Owned License), how can it expire? I should be able to run those licenses I bought, forever. Further, my member site, allows me NOW (still) to download specific versions, for my "owned" license. Why would the vBulletin system allow me to download an update, if they don't work?

And since I have an "owned" license for 3.8.9 or 4.2.3, I should be able to put it on any of my sites.
                          That's the way the old licensing system works. It isn't going to change now. Owned licenses worked using annual renewals....you had the right to run the software but to access latest versions you had an annual renewal.

Your only option is to purchase the renewal, which is the £149 package mentioned, which will also effectively move you from the old licensing system to the current one, which is lifetime download access for that version (in this case vB4). You would only need to pay again after that if you wanted vB5.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• MikeSD
                            • Jun 2015
                            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            That's the way the old licensing system works. It isn't going to change now. Owned licenses worked using annual renewals....you had the right to run the software but to access latest versions you had an annual renewal..
                            Which is why, I assume, for each of my licenses, there is the option to download a different version, when all are the same level. When each of those expired, I was locked to a particular version (still visible and should be usable), for each site, with the existing license. All of my sites are version 3.x, except 1 which is 3.8.9 or 4.2. But each of my 3.x sites are locked to different levels. One is locked to 3.6.2 (it appears), one to 3.6.5, one to 3.6.8 and the unused one to 3.8.9.

But something I just noticed. I still have ONE license that is not expired. It's Active and doesn't expire. It's for a site that no longer exists. So I should be able to use it on any site I like, by changing the web site link to which it's attached. (i.e. stop using 3.5.1, on site 1, replace it with my active license, and then change the link to point to the new site.)

I've sent an email to the sales folk. I'm 100% sure there should be a way to use my existing licenses, on a different site, if I change the links. No license would be used more than once. I have valid licenses for versions from 3.5.1 up to 4.2. I just want to put them on different sites (i.e. reorganize which sites they are on).

For instance, since I have a valid license for 3.8.9, on an unused site, I should be able to use it on any site, even if it was one that previously had 3.5.1. The licenses aren't locked to a site that is why we have the form to change the link. And, I've done this before, through vBulletin. They told me to change the link, after I moved the forum. I was more concerned about trying to save the data from the old site, than anything.

I must not be explaining something right. Let me try this again.

* I have a valid license on site 1 (License-X, has 3.5.1 but should be good to 3.6.2 because they allow me to download that).
                            * I have a valid license on site 2 (License-Y, has 3.8.9 but is UNINSTALLED at present. Was hacked and I removed the installation, so it's unused.

* I want to abandon License-X, on site 1. Or at least stop using it on site 1
                            * I want to MOVE site 2 forum, using License-Y, to my site 1

All of this seems appropriate and legit. I would then just change the link for License-Y, to point to site 1, instead of site 2. I am NOT trying to upgrade license-X. I'm trying to MOVE my license-Y to another site and put the forums on a different domain. That's all.

Initially I was thinking about upgrading. But beginning with post #10, I began to consider just moving my forums to different locations. Not upgrading anything. This would be taking existing licenses and moving the location of the forums. In the end, I could have exactly the same legit licenses, only residing on different forums. Links would be changed to reflect these changes. All forums would have properly licensed software, just different locations from where they were originally installed. It's a forum relocation only operation.
                            Last edited by MikeSD; Sun 5 Jul '15, 6:51am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

You can move licenses to different sites yes, as long as it's one site per license. Just update the URL in the license itself via the members area.

A license will always give you the latest version you are able to download for that specific license, so if you have any licenses that give you 3.8.9 and 4.2.3, then those are "new style" licenses and you need to nothing with those. You can move them to other sites if you wish, as long as they are only used on one site at a time.

If a license only gives you 3.6.2 as the latest version that's an old style license and that would need upgrading as mentioned earlier, then you'd get access to 3.8.9 and 4.2.3. Or, as you point out, you can attach that site to a different license instead, one that is "current".
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...