Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sahmcolorado
    • May 2015

Private Forum?

I need to have a completely private forum, where only paid subscribers can view content aside from a public home page. Is this possible on vBulletin? I'm trying to set it up that way in the demo, but the only restriction on unregistered users seems to be posting.
  • rhens
    • Sep 2012

do that in your usergroup permissions.

Comment

• sahmcolorado
      • May 2015

Thanks, rhens.

I should have been more specific. I don't want unpaid users to be able to view additional pages, either. Just the homepage I have put up. I have added another page where I've embedded a remotely hosted calendar. That needs to be private as well, but I can't find any way to control permissions on pages. Do you know if that is possible?

Also, even when guests cannot see any of the forums or topics, they can go to the forum page, which is just blank. It looks pretty sloppy. Is it possible to prevent them going to that page at all?

Thanks!

Comment

• rhens
        • Sep 2012

in your admincp, go into settings.....forum listings display options.....show private forums, select no.....save.

you will then need to define your usergroup permissions. unregistered/not logged in is a usergroup. give them permission to view whatever you want them to see. they will not be able to see anything else.

you may also want to check forum permissions. make sure those usergroups do not have access to them. with that done, they should not be able to see whatever it is you dont wish them to. it works pretty much the same way your admin forum works......if you have it set properly, not even your registered members know you have one. just make sure your premium members have their own usergroup, then you can exclude everyone else from even knowing that content exists

Comment

• sahmcolorado
          • May 2015

Thanks, rhens. I do have the show private forums set to "no" and I have the permissions set up so that guests cannot view forums. The actual forums don't show, a guest says "Forums" and then "No forums found." This just looks like a broken/inactive forum. What I want is to prevent guests from even getting to that page at all. I want them to just be stuck at the homepage, where there is information on how to join.

Also, guests can still see everything on any pages I add. I can't find any way to make some of them private.

Comment

• Joshua Gonzales
            • Apr 2015
            • 5.5.x

sahmcolorado,

In the Admin CP there is a section under Channel Management --> Channel Permissions. You can control what content each usergroup sees from there. Pages themselves do not have permissions at this point. So there is no way block a page completely, but you can hide the content using Channel Permissions and you can hide the links to those pages in your Navigation Bar using the Site Builder tool.

Even if all of the content on those pages is blocked to that usergroup, they would be able access the pages with a direct link, but they wouldn't see anything.
            Last edited by Joshua Gonzales; Thu 28 May '15, 1:50pm.
            -- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
            -- Ads available for the modules globally
            -- Global modules
            -- Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)

Comment

• sahmcolorado
              • May 2015

Thank you, Joshua

Comment