Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marc Peters
    • Apr 2006

Automatic video embed

I am considering upgrading from 4 to 5. As my site is video-centric, a major consideration is the way video is embedded. Currently, videos are auto-embedded, and the code defaults to HTML5. This means that the content plays on any device, and the video plays as soon as the user clicks on the video.

this is very different to the default vBulletin 5 functionality. From testing here, users must
    • use the video embed code (and even then, it doesn't work if you use a secure link!)
    • click on the created thumbnail to activate the video, then click play to play the video (I've added an example below)
    Is there an easy way to change this functionality?

Ran the Tunbridge Wells half marathon today. Great weather and fantastic support. Quickly filmed a few minutes for Bloco Fogo at the start line (almost missed the…
  • glennrocksvb
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2011
    • 5.7.X

Last edited by glennrocksvb; Thu 16 Apr '15, 8:26am.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      • Mar 2011
      • 5.7.X

It's not good though that vB uses flash to embed Vimeo videos. So it will not work on some devices. You can modify bbcode_video template to change:

HTML Code:
      <object class="restrain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="<vb:if condition="isset($width) AND $width > 0">{vb:raw width}<vb:else />640</vb:if>" height="<vb:if condition="$height">{vb:raw height}<vb:else />360</vb:if>" data="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id={vb:raw code}&autoplay=1">
      to:

HTML Code:
      <iframe class="restrain" src="//player.vimeo.com/video/{vb:raw code}?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;badge=0&amp;color=ffffff&amp;autoplay=1" width="<vb:if condition="isset($width) AND $width > 0">{vb:raw width}<vb:else />640</vb:if>" height="<vb:if condition="$height">{vb:raw height}<vb:else />360</vb:if>" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Marc Peters
        • Apr 2006

Thanks for the replies Glenn. I find it odd that users must click a video twice to play. That, combined with using flash as default seem like odd design decisions.

Comment

• glennrocksvb
          • Mar 2011
          • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Marc Peters
          Thanks for the replies Glenn. I find it odd that users must click a video twice to play. That, combined with using flash as default seem like odd design decisions.
          I don't have to click twice to play the video.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Showing a thumbnail instead of the image itself greatly improves page rendering speed especially on a page with multiple videos on the page. On my VB 3.x site with dozens of videos the page is almost unresponsive due to the number of embedded youtube videos.

Comment

• Marc Peters
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
              I don't have to click twice to play the video.
              Agreed, my mistake.

Showing a thumbnail instead of the image itself greatly improves page rendering speed
              I'm sure you're correct. However, it would be nice to have an option to disable this behaviour - user experience isn't just measured in page load time. The forum I run has a section for video reviews and there's never more than one video in a thread. For me, key aspects of user experience is:
              • see the video's native embed functionality; and
              • ensure that the video BB code is platform independent.
              The out of the box functionality doesn't meet either of these two criteria, so I would need to customise the BB code. I'm not saying it's a disaster (I've done similar on the current vb 4 installation), but the decision would have been a no-brainer otherwise.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

I totally agree on using the HTML5 players when available and this can easily be changed by updating the embed code in the bbcode_video template. I am less certain about an option to disable the video thumbnails but you are free to open an official request for this feature here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=7

Comment