X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jstrongbbb
    • Feb 2015
    • 5.0.x

Making my first forum... Have questions

Hi... Please excuse my lack of knowledge here... This is my first go. I am creating a hobby based forum, that will have a lot of pages and a feedback system.

The version I want is an older one version 3.8.7 / I was a member for years on a site that used that, and I really like it.

How can I get this version? I also saw I can pay vBulletin to host my site? And professional installation? Is there other things I am going to need to learn to create the page and maintain it? Wondering if I can do this with no website experience.

Thanks!
  • Brad Padgett
    • Jul 2014
    • 5.1.x

Hello jstrongbbb,

vBulletin offers a hosting service called vbulletin cloud. I hear great things about it. You can find their plans here:

Also, their professional installation service is available in vbulletin add-ons for $149 when you make your purchase.

You can host vbulletin 3, 4, or 5 but in order to do this you will have to buy Vbulletin 5 connect and then download a previous version from the members area. They do not offer stand-alone purchases for anything lower then 5 but the good news is you will have all 3 versions available to you with vbulletin 5.

You should have no problem running your site with the support you will have with the community here. They answer all your questions quickly and accurately.

Good luck!
    "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• jstrongbbb
      jstrongbbb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I have the web domain purchased, is that all I need to start and get the installation service?

• Brad Padgett
      Brad Padgett commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have hosting and a domain then yes, that's all you need.
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by jstrongbbb
    Hi... Please excuse my lack of knowledge here... This is my first go. I am creating a hobby based forum, that will have a lot of pages and a feedback system.

The version I want is an older one version 3.8.7 / I was a member for years on a site that used that, and I really like it.

How can I get this version? I also saw I can pay vBulletin to host my site? And professional installation? Is there other things I am going to need to learn to create the page and maintain it? Wondering if I can do this with no website experience.

Thanks!
    The vBulletin Cloud service mentioned by TheXBoxCloud will not run vB3.8.7! It will only run vBulletin 5 (and with most customization features disabled).

vB3 is still my favorite version of the vBulletin software so I agree with your assessment to go with the vB3 series. I do wish the company offered a vB3-only license for a discounted price as vB3 is not receiving any more updates beyond security patches. I don't think vB4 or vB5 are an option but that's my opinion.

You can easily run vBulletin 3 series on a $7-10/month host. Just make sure to research on WebHostingTalk.com or other site which hosts are the best and which are the worst (1&1 and GoDaddy are particularly limiting). I do not see a need to drop $150 on professional installation when it is just following step-by-step instructions. It will be a little tough at first to learn all this, but lots of Google searching and asking questions will get you help.

Comment

• EvanAbagail
      • Feb 2015
      • 4.2.x

It actually isn't hard at all to install some vBulletin packages(mainly 4.2.2 - as that's the only one I've installed besides vB5).

All you have to do is create a MySQL server, and then make an empty database. Then you have to edit the includes/config.php.new file accordingly. Then go to your site, and vBulletin pretty much leads you through the rest until it is installed.

Comment

• Brad Padgett
        • Jul 2014
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by feldon23
        The vBulletin Cloud service mentioned by TheXBoxCloud will not run vB3.8.7! It will only run vBulletin 5 (and with most customization features disabled).

vB3 is still my favorite version of the vBulletin software so I agree with your assessment to go with the vB3 series. I do wish the company offered a vB3-only license for a discounted price as vB3 is not receiving any more updates beyond security patches. I don't think vB4 or vB5 are an option but that's my opinion.

You can easily run vBulletin 3 series on a $7-10/month host. Just make sure to research on WebHostingTalk.com or other site which hosts are the best and which are the worst (1&1 and GoDaddy are particularly limiting). I do not see a need to drop $150 on professional installation when it is just following step-by-step instructions. It will be a little tough at first to learn all this, but lots of Google searching and asking questions will get you help.
        Thank you for letting him know this. It was not of my awareness that vbulletin cloud was limited to only hosting 1 product alone.

I was under the assumption it was web hosting, not strictly "vbulletin cloud".

You'll find what you need. There are many hosts out there that can suit your needs. The site the above poster mention (WHT) I agree is a good place to request a host.

You'll be ready once you have completed the domain, hosting, and have purchased vbulletin. You can message or pm me anytime if you need assistance.

Anyways, we'll let one of the professionals get to you. I hope I helped you.
        "Do not go where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...