X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • opentoe
    • Feb 2013

An SMF forum here...

Hi.

Been running an SMF forum for just about 2 months. The site has about 1400 users and gets about 30,000 - 40,000 hits a day. The site is slowly growing also. I've found out that SMF needs a whole lot of after work once it is installed. Mods that should be incorporated are addons. I've also tried phpbb but don't like that interface at all.

Has anyone here used SMF and then went to vBulletin? Was it worth it? And what were your reasons?

Also, is there an import that can be done to the DB if I do decide to switch over?

Keep in mind, I do not know PHP at all, but I know how to work with the DB, FTP, all that jazz.

Thanks
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

We do have an import tool, Impex, that will import from SMF to vBulletin.

I will leave the other questions for those who have actually made the transition.

Comment

• dizzynation
      • Jun 2011
      • 4.2.X

two months old and your getting 1,200,000 visitors a month? With only 1400 users? Something seems wrong here

I have never used SMF or know if their is a way to get to VB - But if you could VB 4.2 is very stable and great for communities

But im not sure your site is working on a community basis - That many hits with that many members seems like they are coming for something else (Just my thoughts)
      www.filmmakerforum.org
      www.digidistribution.com

Comment

• opentoe
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by dizzynation
        two months old and your getting 1,200,000 visitors a month? With only 1400 users? Something seems wrong here

I have never used SMF or know if their is a way to get to VB - But if you could VB 4.2 is very stable and great for communities

But im not sure your site is working on a community basis - That many hits with that many members seems like they are coming for something else (Just my thoughts)

Trust me, I didn't believe those stats myself when I saw them. Here are my stats for the month of January.

Unique visitors

Number of visits

Pages

Hits

Bandwidth
        4.5GB

Comment

• opentoe
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by dizzynation

I'm also curious what you mean by they are coming for something else? It is a text based, support forum. That's all it is.

Comment

• Carol_i28
            • Apr 2012

We moved from SMf to Vbulletin and love it, it is a lot easier, we got someone to help us with the import, and it went smoothly

Comment

• woffie
              • Jan 2009
              • 4.0.x

FYI, you have 4661 visitors per month. Hits is not visitors except in the movies.

Comment

• Phil56
                • Dec 2010
                • 5.1.x

I have used SMF and it's quite the simpleton of forum software nothing really hard about it. That said give me V Bulletin any day of the week.
                History is the lie currently being told. Voltaire

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...