Moving my forum from ipb to vbulletin, Can i import my downloads from ipb to vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brookey12
    • Oct 2011

Moving my forum from ipb to vbulletin, Can i import my downloads from ipb to vbulletin

Hi, Basically im sick of Invision Power Board now.
    There customer service sucks and i am willing to invest in vbulletin as you have come highly recommended.

Thing i need to be sure of before i do though.
    On my Ipb forum i have like 4000 downloads, Is there a way to import all my downloads from invision power board to vbulletin?
    Ive read through the impex manual and i cannot see anything about importing the IP Downloads to DownloadsII on vbulletin?
    So is there a way to do it and if so what will i need.

If someone could answer this asap then i will buy a license today for Vbulletin as im in a bit of a rush to do it but just need clarification first.
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

Impex is not designed to import IPB Downloads data and Downloads II is a 3rd party vBulletin app which we do not provide support for. You would have to contact the developer of Downloads II directly and see if they offer a way to import IPB Downloads data.

Likely it is possible but would require a custom import designed by someone skilled in vBulletin, PHP, and MySQL.

Comment

• Autopilot
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Joe D.
      Impex is not designed to import IPB Downloads data and Downloads II is a 3rd party vBulletin app which we do not provide support for. You would have to contact the developer of Downloads II directly and see if they offer a way to import IPB Downloads data.

Likely it is possible but would require a custom import designed by someone skilled in vBulletin, PHP, and MySQL.
      Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong. You (not you specifically) have a program called "Impex" to import other forum software into VB to help people convert to VB but this "Impex" is not designed to import all the important info from the other forum software? So what's the point?
      And are you suggesting that the developers of "Impex" are not skilled with VB, PHP and MySQL so that people who wish to switch will have to have some other person re-write or create something like "Impex" that actually functions as it should? ie: import all data from other forum software to VB.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Impex will not import data from IPB Downloads because there is no equivalent function in vBulletin, and it it primarily designed to import the core forum data.

Downloads II is a third party add on. We cannot provide support for third party code.

As stated someone with php and MySQL experience should be able to arrange the import of that data for you. vBulletin does not provide such a service, and if we did the product would need to be many times more expensive.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Autopilot
          Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong. You (not you specifically) have a program called "Impex" to import other forum software into VB to help people convert to VB but this "Impex" is not designed to import all the important info from the other forum software? So what's the point?
          And are you suggesting that the developers of "Impex" are not skilled with VB, PHP and MySQL so that people who wish to switch will have to have some other person re-write or create something like "Impex" that actually functions as it should? ie: import all data from other forum software to VB.
          IPB Downloads is not a default component of IPB.

What's the point? The point is it imports threads, PMs, posts, forums, users, attachments, and other important data from IPB into vBulletin. Just because it can't import EVERYTHING doesn't mean it is useless. I'm sure there are hundreds of people over the years very happy with the Impex importer for IPB.

I am suggesting you reconsider how you ask questions... Questions about our product are fine and valid but your last line is insulting. Our developers are second to none- when vBulletin or Impex lack a feature it is because a management decision has been made to to spend resources on that (we so not have infinite resources) not because our developers don't know how to code.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...