• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Purchasing vBulletin 5 - Common Questions

In answer to some of the common questions raised in the forum and via our Ticket system, please see the following:

Q. When will vBulletin 5 be released/declared Gold?

A. We have no release date for vBulletin 5 at this time. Work is ongoing to improve the product, as is natural during a Beta process, based on some excellent feedback from users who have downloaded and installed the Beta product. As soon as we do have a release date, we will communicate this in our Announcements Forum. ( - RSS Feed - Subscribe to Release Announcements Forum)

Q. Where can I try vBulletin 5 before I buy?

A. We have two ways to test vBulletin 5:

- our own test installation: http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/ or
    - a time limited Admin demo via http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5-trial/

Q. I'm not interested in vBulletin 5, I only want vBulletin 3/4 - where can I buy that?

A. We're sorry but we no longer sell vBulletin 3 or 4 licences. However, with a vBulletin 5 License, you will have access to download all previous versions of vBulletin 3, all previous, current and future versions of vBulletin 4 as well as all current and future versions of vBulletin 5. For new customers to vBulletin, and vBulletin 3 customers looking to only upgrade to vBulletin 4, this represents a cost saving over the prices previously available for vBulletin 4 licenses - plus you get access to vBulletin 5 for when you are ready to upgrade to it!

Q. Where can I try vBulletin 4 before I buy?

A. We have a time limited Admin Demo available here - http://www.vbulletin.com/vb4-trial/

Q. If I buy a vBulletin 5 License, can I use vBulletin 5 on one site and vBulletin 4 on another?

A. No, your license only allows you to run one version of vBulletin on a single domain at any one time. To run more than one site using vBulletin, you will need to purchase a separate license for that site. You can view the License Agreement here:

The only exception to this is running a copy for testing purposes. This IS allowed provided it is not publicly available (i.e. must be in a password protected directory) at any time.

Q. Can I transfer to vBulletin 5 from another forum system?

A. At this time, we do not have an import tool available for vBulletin 5 although it is well down the development path and in testing at the moment. To transfer from another system to vBulletin, you can install vBulletin 4, import via our ImpEx tool then upgrade the vBulletin 4 installation to vBulletin 5. As soon as the vBulletin 5 compatible Importer becomes available, we will make an announcement in our Announcements Forum. ( - RSS Feed - Subscribe to Release Announcements Forum)

Q. What if I use the vBulletin 4 CMS?

A. Your CMS articles will be imported into the new vBulletin 5 Article System if you upgrade to vBulletin 5.

Q. Will my Mobile Suite / Facebook app I paid for be compatible?

A. Work is well underway to have these working with vBulletin 5 when it's declared Gold. There will be no need to update the apps to make them compatible.

Q. My vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite license came with ticket support, do I lose that if I upgrade the license to vBulletin 5?

A. Yes. The vBulletin 5 license offers free ticket support for the first 30 days only. After that 30 days, you will need to purchase a Ticket Support contract to obtain ticket support from us.

Q. Which other languages will be supported and when/where can I download them?

A. We have yet to finalize the list of languages that will be available at launch, however we anticipate there being between two and four in addition to English. All language options will be included in the base price of the software, and each of those languages will have dedicated ticket and forum support staff. More information on where these can accessed will be made available as soon as the language packs themselves are available.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Tue 11 Aug '15, 2:32pm.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...